• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best USA state in August? (1 Viewer)

thomasbarker81

I am planning to travel to USA in August for about two weeks, have some ideas about where I will go but was hoping someone with more experience could suggest the 'best' birding area of USA in august - am looking to stay in one areas, i.e. not masses of driving. Any suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated. Was looking for maximum species rather than say most localised species.

Thanks,

Tom

A lot depends upon what region you are most likely to be in.

One of the areas most likely to turn up a lot of species in August would be the Pacific Northwest, a drive along the coast of Washington or Oregon, especially Oregon, which has much more continuous coastal access and a website Oregon Birding Trails, http://www.oregonbirdingtrails.org/ that has a lot of localities organized by region with species lists, etc. This area would also turn up a lot of land birds. Do you have particular groups you are most interested in or particular regions you're interested in for non-birding reasons (e.g, interest by significant other.)

Will

Last edited:
Southeast Arizona in August might be a good bet for seeing quite a few birds!

Ordinarily, but not this year. Larry. That massive wildfire in Arizona has been burning through the Chiricahuas, including Barfoot and Rustler Park, and much of the unburned area is closed.

Will

I would second the suggestion for Washington or Oregon, for many of the same reasons given- there are the coastal birds, and because of the varied topography there is a good diversity of landbirds. If you are willing to drive from the coast to the eastern slope of the Cascade Mts, you will hit a lot of different habitats, including the central valley, wet forest on the west side of the mountains and dry Ponderosa Pine forest on the east side. Also the weather will generally be nice, not too hot and not rainy. It can be chilly and foggy on the coast in the summer. And the scenery is stunning.

I spent three weeks in northwest Oregon in August a few years ago and racked up quite a list! If you decide to head out that way I can give you some more detailed suggestions.

another thought: if airfare is significantly cheaper to travel to the northeastern US than to the northwest, then Maine might also be a good possibility.

Was looking for maximum species rather than say most localised species.

According to eBird, the state with the most number of species in August over the last 3 years is California, with Texas a close second. However, both of these are big states and covering either completely would require a non-trivial amount of driving. Since Texas will be quite hot in August, I'd consider being based in Northern California--especially if you are keen on pelagic trips--and perhaps taking a side trip to So. California (c. 1 days drive or 450 miles) for desert/sub-tropical species. Pacific Northwest would be great too--less expensive and less crowded than Ca.--though not quite as many species.

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back