• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

That Pipit again!!! (2 Viewers)

Darrell Clegg

I hope BF members will forgive me for going on about it but that Pipit is still at Looe.

Steve Madge, myself and a few friends who hadn't seen it before spent the whole day there yesterday and still came away feeling that we don't know what it is.

Whenever we are away from the bird we can convince ourselves that it must be a Rock Pipit in extreme plumage. All is then right in the birding world and we can go off and look for other things. Unfortunately we keep going back to have another look at it, and every time we do the doubts creep in. There are just too many inconsistancies with Rock Pipit. The complete eye ring, the bold, long supercillium, the pink legs, the bold spotting, the short tail.
Having said that, it shows the same number of inconsistencies for every other pipit species - Water Pipit for instance. It has pink legs, Water Pipit should be dark. It has buff underparts, Water Pipit should be greyish white. It has a complete eye ring - etc etc.

I think I need help - preferably psychiatric!!

Darrell

Fifebirder said:
Don't worry Darrell - I think this is probably how most people feel when they look at ANY pipit!
Thank, God, I thought it was just me!!!

As for the Looe bird... whatever you tell me, Darrell, I'm prepared to believe.

Here's me thinking it had scarpered. I really hope it's gets proven to be a good bird and then I have my first armchair tick!!!

Andrew said:
Here's me thinking it had scarpered. I really hope it's gets proven to be a good bird and then I have my first armchair tick!!!

See I wouldn't tick a bird I couldn't identify in the field... but that's just me.

Jane Turner said:
See I wouldn't tick a bird I couldn't identify in the field... but that's just me.

I refused to tick a particular grebe because I couldn't tell what it was despite some guy assuring me the head shape indicated whatever was he was claiming.

Of course in a fair world I'd have run into this bird over the past year but have I heck.......

A while back I trimmed my list to throw off dubious sightings and felt a lot better. I have one blemish though. Corn Bunting as I saw a bird fly into a weedy field close by and another birder next to me said "Gosh! Corn Bunting" then went onto explain why it was a Corn Bunting. I could see his argument then and ticked it. I really want to find one and see for myself why it's a Corn Bunting then replace it on my list.

Blyth`s Pipit - I saw the Notts bird last year on a couple of occasions (only 20 miles from me) and despite it already having been ID`d as a Blyths on my first visit I couldn`t for the life of me see why it wasn`t a Richards even whilst being explained why it was a Blyth`s - on my own i`d have had no chance!!

Hi Darrell

I had the same problem a while ago, I'd convinced myself that the Pipit that I had just photographed was something different, my colleague even told me it was a common or garden Meadow. Even when I was looking at the slides on the screen I was still convinced it was something else, so I posted it on Bird Forum for an opinion, guess what, everybody said it was a Meadow!!

nirofo.

Jane ( and anyone else who's still interested)

It now has some lovely dark streaks, and is going very very buff on the belly and vent !!!!

Darrell

This is the best I can do at the moment - I'll spend all weekend there and come up with something better.

It has lost the tramlines on the back, and is now quite plain. It has been compared to a tiny Song Thrush and an Ovenbird without the orange crown, that's how distinctive it is.

Darrell

Attachments

• Grabbed Frame 3.jpg
    Grabbed Frame 3.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 437
  • Grabbed Frame 4.jpg
    Grabbed Frame 4.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 371
  • Grabbed Frame 6.jpg
    Grabbed Frame 6.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 431
  • Grabbed Frame 14.jpg
    Grabbed Frame 14.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 533
  • Grabbed Frame 15.jpg
    Grabbed Frame 15.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 448
Curiouser and curiouse...One hopes that even if the identification can't be secured at the moment then, with the excellent pictures that have been taken, it may be possible at some future time when the Rock/Water/Buff-bellied group is (hopefully) better understood.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back