• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fajara Golf Course hazard! (1 Viewer)

gambirder

Kev Roy
United Kingdom
Just a wee warning for anyone birding Fajara Golf Course. I was there about 6pm today taking in the birds (notably Hoopoe) and butterflies. Walking through the 'rough' I saw a snake moving slowly about 3m away and craned my neck for a closer look whereupon a cobra suddenly reared up with hood spread!! It reared up about a metre off the ground and I estimated it as c2.50m in length. There were two quite narrow whitish stripes on or just below the hood. Needless to say I was a little startled and, knowing they can spit, took a pace backwards. The cobra dropped to the ground and slithered quickly away.

I'm always semi-snake-conscious here, and stomp if going through longish grass, but I really didn't think there were such large cobras so close to the built-up areas. So if you should be bushwhacking through long grass or the like while birding the golf course - or anywhere in coastal Gambia - do be aware there are beasties around. Having said that that's the first time I've seen a snake on many many visits to the golf course and the first time in hundreds of days birding the Gambian bush when a cobra's reared up on me. One of my great Gambia experiences and a great wildlife moment!

Last edited:
Yikes!!

Could be a good start to a thread. 'Most dangerous animals encountered whilst birding!'

I bumped into a Montpellier Snake (almost literally!) whilst birding in Cyprus. A quick backtrack was made by yours truly. Also encountered Alligators and Wild Boar in Florida, not quite Lions and Tigers but then again I am a bit of a wuss!!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back