• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cairngorms - dotterel (1 Viewer)

Arbu

I'm planning on spending a day walking in the southern part of the Cairngorms around Ben Macdhui on 17th/18th August. I was wondering if anyone can tell me where the best place to look for dotterel would be? Is mid August too late?

Thanks

Hi Arbu,

Welcome to BirdForum!

Keep a good eye open on any reasonably flattish ground above about 1100 metres. Mid August is getting on the late side, but I'd think there's a good chance at least a few fledged juveniles will still be around. Don't expect to see any in bright breeding plumage, though.

Michael

Had a flock of 16 male Dotterel two weeks ago, no chicks present at all. Usually this is a sign they are about to depart, which seems most of them have. A search last Sunday found only one very elusive male. A poor breeding season due to bad weather. I think that by August you will be pretty lucky this year to find any Dotterel left on Cairngorm.

JP

A thorough search of the Cairngorm Plateau today yielded one - the most forlorn, scruffy male Dotterel ever, I hope it lives for another two weeks, let alone stays up there! Got a stunning male Snow Bunting though, which made up for it!

Went on 17th August to Ben Macdui, as planned. As you suspected, no sign of any dotterel, although having approached from Braemar I didn't have much time to explore the summit plateau in any case, because it's such a long walk in. But I did see two snow bunting shivering on the top in a hail storm, a golden eagle, ptarmigan, red grouse, a redstart, crossbill, arctic hare, four roe deer and great views, so still quite a succesful day.

Will try again another year earlier in the season.

Arbu said:
Went on 17th August to Ben Macdui, as planned. As you suspected, no sign of any dotterel, although having approached from Braemar I didn't have much time to explore the summit plateau in any case, because it's such a long walk in. But I did see two snow bunting shivering on the top in a hail storm, a golden eagle, ptarmigan, red grouse, a redstart, crossbill, arctic hare, four roe deer and great views, so still quite a succesful day.

Will try again another year earlier in the season.
Wow! Good day! I recommend the middle of May to the middle of June for Dotterel going on the last few years, any later and they are becoming increasingly hard to pick up, and have all left the plateau by the end of July since 2001.

Arbu said:
Went on 17th August to Ben Macdui, as planned.........having approached from Braemar.

Good man!. Thats the proper way to get to MacDui!. Did you do a round trip via Carn a' Mhaim and Derry Cairngorm?. Thats one of my favourite Cairngorm walks.....last did it in March 2003 in a pre-dawn to dusk epic, it was hard work because there was still plenty of snow high up, but did see all four grouse en route.....

mike coleman said:
You easterners are all mad......... ;)

Absolutely!

But the walk into the Cairngorms from our side is splendid. I can't bear the area around the ski centre on your side, and how they got permission to build that railway, I do not know. Saw it for the first time this summer, can't believe what an eye sore it is....

DJ Sideboard said:
Absolutely!

But the walk into the Cairngorms from our side is splendid. I can't bear the area around the ski centre on your side, and how they got permission to build that railway, I do not know. Saw it for the first time this summer, can't believe what an eye sore it is....
You can say that again, luckily within five minutes of the car park, the railway is but a distant memory, and there is just a nice couple of hour stroll up to the Ben! ;)

Good man!. Thats the proper way to get to MacDui!. Did you do a round trip via Carn a' Mhaim and Derry Cairngorm?. Thats one of my favourite Cairngorm walks.....last did it in March 2003 in a pre-dawn to dusk epic, it was hard work because there was still plenty of snow high up, but did see all four grouse en route.....

No I flew up from London in the morning, got a hire car and drove to the Linn of Dee, setting off about midday. So getting to the top of MacDui was about all I could manage.

Anyway I think I'm going to try again around the middle of July this year. Sounds as if I'll have reasonable chances, although still a bit later than ideal?

£50 first class return tickets to Aviemore from London available at the moment with East Coast.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back