• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

S'Albubera Natural Park (1 Viewer)

sonofelvis

I'm going to north mallorca in mid july and was wondering if anyone has been to the above, and if so what is it like for bird photography, we are staying in Ca'n picafort so its not to far away also are there any other birding sites around this area.

Regards

soofelvis

S'albufera is pretty good for photography but is a large area so you need to be mobile to properly cover it.
In that area are the Salbufereta, just south of Puerto Pollensa, small wetland area that can hold good birds, the walk from Puerto Pollensa can give good birds.
The Bocquer valley just north of Puerto Pollensa can also hold some good birds, blue rock thrush, stonechat and there are usually some raptors through there as well.
The beach at Puerto Pollensa can have Auduoins gull as well as yellow-legged gull.

July should see you Ok for Eleonoras falcon, hunting dragonflies etc over S'Albefera and Albufetera, but also beyond Puerto Pollensa on the Formentor peninsula.

Balearic (Marmoras) warbler in the Bocquer, with a chance of black vulture.

If you have transport try to get to the Cuber reservoir, on the road from Pollensa town to Soller, for black & griffon vulture, Eleonora's falcon, tawny pipit and 'much, much more'.

Was there at the beginning of May, stayed in Playa de Muro, you should have no problem with getting plenty of photo opportunities, good views from the hides of the scrapes but you will need to be quick with the Warblers on the main path.

S'Albufera is just perfect for photos - the approach track early morning for Night Herons, egrets, herons, waders, then hides close to the centre, the three bridges areas and hides etc. Can shelter from the sun and just by poking around and taking your time you can get photos of the above plus purple swamphen, waders, kingfishers, possible raptors and warblers.

Could walk along the coast from edge of Can Picafort in Arta direction, another lovely evening walk, but you do have to walk back the same way - the scrub adjacent to the coast is good for Larks and shrikes. But take water.

Albufereta is just past Alcudia and has some good tracks (same birds as S'Albufera).

If you can get out to Cuber it can either be great or dead! Choose nice weather tho. Vultures, raptors, warblers etc but photos may be harder!

By Port de Pollenca, Boquer valley is great for a morning or evening walk, and Formentor peninsula is a good drive but get back out by 10am as the coaches block up the hairpin bends. Dont drive it if of a nervous disposition.

I'll vouch for the drive out to the Formentor peninsula, it's a damn good laxative!
I met a coach on one of the bends and quite frankly nigh on laid an egg. Not for the faint hearted.
However it's well worth it for the Eleanora's falcons.

I'm going to north mallorca in mid july and was wondering if anyone has been to the above, and if so what is it like for bird photography, we are staying in Ca'n picafort so its not to far away also are there any other birding sites around this area.

Regards

soofelvis

If you go to the "Local Patch" section of the Forums then sub forum "Europe and the Rest of the World", click on the "Europe" patch and a menu drops down revealing all the European countries including Spain and the Ballearics. Click on that and you'll find posts from a bloke called Mike Montier, post the same Q to him and he will reveal all you need to know for your hols. :t:
Joe

Last edited:
I'll vouch for the drive out to the Formentor peninsula, it's a damn good laxative!
I met a coach on one of the bends and quite frankly nigh on laid an egg. Not for the faint hearted.
However it's well worth it for the Eleanora's falcons.

Totally agree there Keith last time we were there I biked it to the end from PP and the coaches were Italian Jobbies (the original)...........:eek!:

Many thanks wolfbirder looking forward to my trip now after all this great info!

Your'e welcome mate...........if just into photography you may as well spend most of youre time ambling around S'Albufera, as nearly all the islands birds can be seen from there, except vultures, Larks and Balearic Warblers & Blue Rock Thrush.

So it does depend what you want to get out of the trip. I love to explore and enjoy scenery, so getting to Cuber and Boquer and Formentor is important because it is so spectacular, and it is special if you can get there before the tourists, or early evening.

When I said early morning at S'Albufera, I mean about 8am, for the line-up of Night Herons by the S'Albufera entrance track. I beleive you can go in before it officially opens. Also, check out the pool by the main road (on the left) just after you leave C'an Picafort at the last roundabout, heading towards S'Albufera in Alcudia direction. I had great views of waders here. However, views here and from the hides on S'Albufera can vary each time, depending on water levels. Obviously you will work with appropriate sun angles, learning which hides offer best shots at certain times of the day. You will find the most productive spots when you go. Osprey, Eleonora's Falcons, Marsh Harriers, even a Monty, Purple and Squacco Herons, Bitterns may appear over the reedbeds at any time but may be hard to photograph in flight. Waterfowl, waders and 'some' passerines may be a little easier.

We had great views of Nightjars in the evening, perched on telegraph wires by the outside bar to the left of the hotel entrance, Hotel Exegon Park (was an Iberostar) in C'an Picafort. You can go in and buy a drink and then sit outside. Would have to google its address as its off the main street and in a quiet area of C'anPicafort. Also had calling Scops Owl in the scrub to the right of the hotel.

Wish i was going!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back