• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Siskin movements (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
I posted this Q before so apolgogies but I don't think a real answer was forthcoming.

The year before last, Siskins were the commonest bird on our feeder in St Petersburg, Russi during the summer with sometimes 20+ birds present at any one time.

Last year we didn't have a single bird. I'm promted to re-post as we have 2 right now as I write so maybe it will be another Siskin year. Birds move in winter we know that but why, when they were so abundent, would they be totally absent in the summer?

Andy

Local spruce cone / birch seed crop failure is the most likely cause - Siskins go where the food is, which often means different areas in different years.

We're surrounded, hunderds of km's in every direction by Spruce, Pine and Birch, can't imagie it all failed?

A

Very easily - the weather conditions that lead to a seed crop failure usually affect all the trees in a region. Most trees are actually adapted to this; being long-lived, a blank year for seeds doesn't harm their lifetime reproductive chances, but has the benefit of getting rid of a lot of seed predators which are starved out locally (except for birds like Siskins and Crossbills, which can move to a different area where the crop is good!).

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back