• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Books ? (1 Viewer)

Bsmooth

Bruce
I've always been into photography, but birds have come to be my favorite fascination. So I'm learning, but as to which books are best for identification, seems to come down to Sibleys and National Geographic.
So what would you recommend and why ? Bruce

Sibley's, mainly because of the illustrations which I prefer to the NG's more naturalistic renderings. But both are excellent field guides and you wouldn't go wrong with either. . ..

Sibley's, mainly because of the illustrations which I prefer to the NG's more naturalistic renderings. But both are excellent field guides and you wouldn't go wrong with either. . ..

Get the East and West coast volumes separately so the species options are slimmed down for your location. makes it a lot easier where there are several similar birds to be able to eliminate at least a couple on location.

Andy

I bought the Sibley's guide to birds of Eastern North America after a forum member recommended it to me, and I love it, I've been able to identify so many birds that pass through my backyard because of the book.

I've always been into photography, but birds have come to be my favorite fascination. So I'm learning, but as to which books are best for identification, seems to come down to Sibleys and National Geographic.
So what would you recommend and why ? Bruce

I know it's not quite what you asked, but I'd really recommend learning calls and songs too starting with the commoner birds. You can buy CDs (eg Stokes) or there's a lot of free stuff from sites like xenocanto.

Cheers

Matt

So question: Has Peterson fallen out of favor? When I was last into birding 20 years ago it was still the standard. Now I'm seeing people recommend either NG or Sibley. I think the illustrations in Sibley are too small. I bought the latest Eastern Peterson since the range maps are out of date on my old copy. I don't like how the size was increased, but do like the range maps on each page now. Are people finding other problems with Peterson now?

So question: Has Peterson fallen out of favor? When I was last into birding 20 years ago it was still the standard. Now I'm seeing people recommend either NG or Sibley. I think the illustrations in Sibley are too small. I bought the latest Eastern Peterson since the range maps are out of date on my old copy. I don't like how the size was increased, but do like the range maps on each page now. Are people finding other problems with Peterson now?

Yes, Peterson was the first modern field guide, but not the standard it once was. But there's really nothing wrong with it. I'd actually recommend it over Sibley for beginning birders. The big Sibley has some details the Peterson lacks, however. At least last time I checked.

Last edited:
I purchased the NG North American version and I am very pleased. Comprehensive yet user friendly for a beginner such as myself. Little large to throw in a pocket though.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back