• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coal Tits and Crested Tits at Feeders (1 Viewer)

AndyII

United States
I've been seeing more and more coal tits and even a couple crested tits at my feeders lately (black sunflower seeds). I was under the impression these two were more interested in pine trees and pine cones, etc. Or, am I mistaken, and coal and crested tits at feeders is normal?

Thanks.

Morning Andy, it is perfectly normal for all the Tit family to come to the feeders, I personally only use sun flower hearts in my feeders and that attracts all the finch's as well.

Thanks. When we lived in Germany the only tits we saw in our yard were great, blue, and the occasional marsh. In Bydgoszcz, we have great, blue, marsh, crested, coal, and long-tailed.

Thanks. When we lived in Germany the only tits we saw in our yard were great, blue, and the occasional marsh. In Bydgoszcz, we have great, blue, marsh, crested, coal, and long-tailed.

Could be dependant on which part of Germany.
When I lived there, not far from the Dutch border, we got Crested tits feeding on the fat balls. They never touched the other bird feeders. But we also got Red Squirrel and Hawfinch visiting.

We're not lucky enough to get Crested Tits here but Coal Tits are very regular on the feeders, especially as numbers increase in the winter. Long-tailed Tits visit the suet and peanuts in the winter but feed elsewhere in the spring/summer. Marsh Tits have declined but we still get them now and then. Blue Tits and Great Tits of course are here in good numbers all year round. In October last year when visiting the Swarovski Optik factory in Absam, Austria, we took a short walk in to the woods behind the hotel and found a garden full of feeders with Crested Tits often coming down to feed.

Attachments

• crested_tit.jpg
    crested_tit.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 66
I live in an area where both Coal Tit and Crested Tit are common. I have never seen a Crested tit come to my feeders whilst Coal Tit are constantly using them

Hi

I have never had a crested tit. But wherever in the UK we pitch up our caravan the coal tit is often the fourth type of visitor. The order almost always goes: blue tit, Robin, great tit ...... Then depending on the location nuthatch or coal tit!

I find that where ever yew trees are coal tits will be nearby along with goldcrest,s and treecreepers not far away.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back