• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Last of the mammoths (1 Viewer)

With regard to your larger point, tiny populations have successfully been brought back from the brink, e.g., the Trumpeter Swan. Too early to say anything one way or another about the California Condor, a very analogous case to the mammoth, I would have thought.

Is it? I thought the article explained that the Wrangel Mammoths were doomed by the fact that over thousands of years their progressive decrease in genetic diversity restricted the elimination of unfavourable mutations (and I would speculate that slow reproduction and lack of mega-predators to prune the poor adaptations contributed to this).

My understanding is that the California Condor decreased dramatically over an insignificant period of time due to Man's depredations on the local fauna, so that even though the turnover of individuals is faster, there has not been time for the same introduction of unfavourable mutations during the decline. So what we have now in the recovery phase could be more analogous to the boom-and-bust population cycles of rodents. Hope so anyway. :t:

John

Is it? I thought the article explained that the Wrangel Mammoths were doomed by the fact that over thousands of years their progressive decrease in genetic diversity restricted the elimination of unfavourable mutations (and I would speculate that slow reproduction and lack of mega-predators to prune the poor adaptations contributed to this).

My understanding is that the California Condor decreased dramatically over an insignificant period of time due to Man's depredations on the local fauna, so that even though the turnover of individuals is faster, there has not been time for the same introduction of unfavourable mutations during the decline. So what we have now in the recovery phase could be more analogous to the boom-and-bust population cycles of rodents. Hope so anyway. :t:

I dunno, the breeding biology and demographics of the two species seem reasonably analogous to me. Condors, like mammoths, are at the top of the food chain (adults essentially predation-free; some very limited subadult predation) and are extremely slow-breeding (age of first nesting attempt 6-8 years, single egg 2 out of 3 successive years thereafter, 40-50% nest success).

The current condor population of c.450--free and unfree--is entirely descended from the tiny remnant California population of 22 removed from the wild in the 1980s for captive breeding, and can't have much genetic diversity for natural selection to work with.

Rodent boom-and-bust cycles, I think, are not relevant here. Even during the bust-phase, overall numbers remain relatively high. If they didn't, given the ferocious mortality rates characteristic of rodent boom-and-bust populations, there'd be constant danger of extinction.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back