• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Info request: Water Deer in Cambridgeshire. (1 Viewer)

JWN Andrewes

Poor Judge of Pasta.
Hello all

We're going to be in Cambridge at some point over Easter. I was wondering what are the best sites and strategies for seeing Chinese Water Deer in the area? Many thanks in anticipation.

Cheers

James

Ps - will probably also have a crack at Water Shrews at Fowlmere, presume they're still possible there?

Best place in the fens for CWD is Woodwalton Fen, 28 miles from Cambridge. On a sunny day good for Grass Snake and butterflies too.

Fowlmere will have Water Shrews but not necessarily easy, RSPB HQ Sandy Beds perhaps better especially Jack's Pond. On the other hand Fowlmere late May on will have Turtle Doves.....

Hopefully Mark Hows will see this, he is more local to these sites.

John

Thanks John

Woodwalton Fen looks good, the website recommends the western flood bank at dusk in March and April as a good place and time.

Might skip Water Shrews for now and do Thetford for Otters (if I hear they're around), Weeting, Lakenheath and then finish off at Woodwalton for the Deer as a day's itinerary.

Cheers

James

Thanks John

Woodwalton Fen looks good, the website recommends the western flood bank at dusk in March and April as a good place and time.

Might skip Water Shrews for now and do Thetford for Otters (if I hear they're around), Weeting, Lakenheath and then finish off at Woodwalton for the Deer as a day's itinerary.

Cheers

James

The western flood bank is a near cert at almost any time of day but the internal marsh can be good around dusk as well in the right spot.

John

On the One Show last night it took Mike Dilger 15 hours in a portable hide to see one. I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest it can be done easier! :t:

On the One Show last night it took Mike Dilger 15 hours in a portable hide to see one. I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest it can be done easier! :t:

I'm going to completely agree with you. The One Show is not a great source of information on wildlife subjects, and their technique is pants.

John

I'm going to completely agree with you. The One Show is not a great source of information on wildlife subjects, and their technique is pants.

John

The water deer are easy at Woodwalton Fen, ideal times are dawn and dusk and they can be found anywhere on the reserve, the quiet corners are very good away from the main paths and the hides. Plenty of muntjac around as well and also otter and water voles in the channels.

PM for any detailed info

Mark

The water deer are easy at Woodwalton Fen, ideal times are dawn and dusk and they can be found anywhere on the reserve, the quiet corners are very good away from the main paths and the hides. Plenty of muntjac around as well and also otter and water voles in the channels.

PM for any detailed info

Mark

Yep, Mark is bang on. A few years back, I did a piece for BBC Wildlife on Woodwalton's CWD, and saw quite a few easily shortly before dusk (but not during the main period of the day).

James

PM for any detailed info

Mark

Yep, Mark is bang on. A few years back, I did a piece for BBC Wildlife on Woodwalton's CWD, and saw quite a few easily shortly before dusk (but not during the main period of the day).

James

Thank you both, really helpful, and looks like Woodwalton is the place to be. Might make it first port of call on our trip down to Cambridge, mid afternoon to dusk with a packed lunch tea, then maybe one morning out to Thetford/Weeting/Lakenheath, and maybe another to Little Paxton if any Nightingales are in yet.

Mark, I might PM you closer the time just to check the up to date local situation if that's ok.

Many thanks to all who have helped, I'll be sure to let you know how we fare.

Cheers

James

Water Deer are very easy to see in my sister-in-law's garden, west of Bedford, sat on a sofa with a glass in your hand B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back