• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (10 Viewers)

Titchwell Jack Snipe

Not the closest bird ever, but the photo is useful for a comparison of the relative sizes of the two congeners. It is completely inadequate for displaying the marvellous array of whorls on its wings.

The bird was not present for some time before I arrived, so I went on to the sea. Just as I returned to Parrinder Hide, it appeared in an apparently favourite spot on an island to the south.

I think I have included some of Penny's bricks, too.

Attachments

• P1050530#002.jpg
    P1050530#002.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
BB Dipper

Birdguides report the Black-bellied Dipper as being present at 10.36am today by the ford on River Glaven between Hunworth and Thornage - TG061363, but no further sign by 11.31am. Any forum members get to see it today?
Richard

Present

Birdguides report the Black-bellied Dipper as being present at 10.36am today by the ford on River Glaven between Hunworth and Thornage - TG061363, but no further sign by 11.31am. Any forum members get to see it today?
Richard

Black-bellied Dipper present again at the ford at 1.54pm.
Richard

Black Bellied Dipper.

Hi.

I have just got back from Hunworth after great views of the Black Bellied Dipper. The bird was on the river by the bridge on the village green, opposite Hunworth Bell ph. About half a dozen birders were present.

I had been to Thornage, Letheringsett and Natural Surroundings at Glandford before I saw it. Quite interestingly, when the Warden/Manager (guy with glasses) of Natural Surroundings was told of the Dipper being at Thornage/Hunworth earlier he claimed it was 'highly unlikely', suggested it was 'probably stringers' and the water habitat was not suitable. Don't know why he was so dismissive of the claim!!!! What I do know is, it was highly likely it was there, 100% highly likely. A very nice bird, my first for Norfolk. I am happy.

Cheers.
Fox.

I have just got back from Hunworth after great views of the Black Bellied Dipper. The bird was on the river by the bridge on the village green, opposite Hunworth Bell ph.

Fantastic that you caught up with it! And if it's near a pub, it sounds like my kind of bird... As you'll have gathered, I'm stuck at home working today, so I did have a momentary Mrs Meldrew, 'I don't believe it' moment when the news came up on the pager! But well done whoever searched further afield and refound it.

I think next weekend, I shall up sticks and camp out in the area until I connect with the dratted thing. I do hope David's managed to get there today as he's dipped even more times than I have.

Irene

Hi.

I have just got back from Hunworth after great views of the Black Bellied Dipper. The bird was on the river by the bridge on the village green, opposite Hunworth Bell ph. About half a dozen birders were present.

I had been to Thornage, Letheringsett and Natural Surroundings at Glandford before I saw it. Quite interestingly, when the Warden/Manager (guy with glasses) of Natural Surroundings was told of the Dipper being at Thornage/Hunworth earlier he claimed it was 'highly unlikely', suggested it was 'probably stringers' and the water habitat was not suitable. Don't know why he was so dismissive of the claim!!!! What I do know is, it was highly likely it was there, 100% highly likely. A very nice bird, my first for Norfolk. I am happy.

Cheers.
Fox.

Great stuff. Well done and good luck to anyone going for it.
Cheers
Richard

Irene,
A lovely thought, but what can I say... No!
It was my daughter's birthday party this afternoon, although it did give me enough time to dip the Great White Egret in Norwich (it was one) and even the Falcated Duck at Strumpshaw, which I am sure people will not be surprised in knowing that it was consorting with Mallards y'day, although flighty.

I did see a cracking Falcated Duck thi afternoon (along with a number of other exotics in a small collection!)

Oh well, there's always tomorrow,

David

Hi.

Cheers.
Fox.
Well done, lucky you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:t:;)

Hempton NOA Reserve this morning - 1 Marsh Tit, 1 Willow Tit (seen and heard - needed to hear to ID positively!), 1 sparrowhawk landed by in bushes behind feeders to attack a jay!!!!! who squawked violently and sparrowhawk left!!!, 1 mistle thrush and a couple of jays, party of long tailed tits, lots of chaffinches, robins, great tits, coal tits, blue tits, linnets, wren. Near the reserve a pair of stunning bullfinches in the sunshine!

Just as I was about to leave Hempton area at 2pm, the pager went off to say the black bellied dipper was back, HOW FRUSTRATING when I HAD to drive back to King's Lynn to be on the ward at 3pm:C

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
Hi folks,

A few of us 'backwater birders' have swapped the 'backwater' for the magic of Norfolk for a few days. I will be able to update my blog every night (thanks to our B and B having wire-less broadband), so to keep up with our sightings please click the link below. Todays highlight was without doubt the STUNNING flock of eight Waxwings.

Maybe see some of you around?

Steve B :)

Had a pleasant day working an area near East Ruston today, was hoping for Jack Snipe and maybe more Leos as this was a historical site, fairly quiet early on with Kingfisher and 5 Snipe but was enlivened when had a male Hen Harrier following the path of the Weavers Way. Had a good search around in pretty good habitat for Leos but no luck - they were last here a good few years back.

While watching a translucent winged Barn Owl glinting in the evening sunlight, was chatting with a local resident, he'd had a Leo a few months back but was possibly part of the autumn influx. There also seems to be a small Harrier roost in the area, later had the same male Hen on the outskirts of Honing.

The day was somewhat marred by constant shooting and the local said that there are two individuals who are shooting Snipe 'because they are more of a challenge' - unbelievable.

Had a pleasant day working an area near East Ruston today, was hoping for Jack Snipe and maybe more Leos as this was a historical site, fairly quiet early on with Kingfisher and 5 Snipe but was enlivened when had a male Hen Harrier following the path of the Weavers Way. Had a good search around in pretty good habitat for Leos but no luck - they were last here a good few years back.

While watching a translucent winged Barn Owl glinting in the evening sunlight, was chatting with a local resident, he'd had a Leo a few months back but was possibly part of the autumn influx. There also seems to be a small Harrier roost in the area, later had the same male Hen on the outskirts of Honing.

The day was somewhat marred by constant shooting and the local said that there are two individuals who are shooting Snipe 'because they are more of a challenge' - unbelievable.

Hi all,

Thanks for the PM Jimbob and thanks too for the Dipper reply Irene.

It's very sad that Snipe is still a legal quarry species here in the UK, Woodcock too for that matter; Snipe are tiny birds, I wonder how many that are shot are 'shot for the pot'? Most probably just get thrown away, very sad. I drove through East Ruston yesterday passing a couple of gun toting shooters on the road so no doubt all 4 vehicles nearby belonged to others. I can accept a certain level of shooting for the pot but there is undoubtedly lots that goes on unseen that would more than p*** many people off. As for the Harriers, it would be nice to think of a roost local to the East Ruston area but I'm pretty sure that birds passing through here (and Happisburgh occasionally) roost in northern Broadland.

I haven't seen a great deal over this way yet this year but a Little Egret in the paddocks near home this afternoon was noteworthy...

James

East Ruston

Pomskua- I too was on the weavers way footpath yesterday, I stayed until dusk hoping for similar species to yourself, but to no avail. I must have spoken to the same local as you- large alsatian, cap with feathers in (him not the dog)?
He said much the same to me; he had good views of LEOs for a brief one week period last year and pointed out the area where they were roosting, PM me if you want any more details, im gonna go back for another look next month. Great habitat round there.
Cheers,
Jim.

Bird news from Titchwell 19th Jan

2 Water pipits on the fresh marsh
1 Short eared owl over saltmarsh, early morning only
3 Bitterns in flight at one point, one giving good views from Fen Hide
1 female Brambling by feeders
4 Velvet Scoter offshore
4 red throated divers offshore
24 Ruff on fresh marsh

Cheers,
Ben

Bawsey Country Park (nr King's Lynn) today in my lunchtime between 12.55pm and 1.15pm.

2 gorgeous treecreepers around the pines by the water's edge and calling too!

Good numbers of greylags and canada's on the water. A flock of 15+ redwings scattered from the pines. A flock of greenfinches, goldfinches and 5+ Siskins

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
I was just wondering what ideal weather is in Spring (for rares). In autumn its a high pressure over scandanavia, a low pressure over the north sea and easterly winds etc. But what is it for Spring migration times - assuming its different...?

Titchwell January 21st

Today's highlights

Bittern - 1 from Fen Hide
Water pipit - 1 on fresh marsh
Avocet - 7 on fresh marsh
Peregrine - 1 hunting over reserve
Snow bunting - 30 on beach

Paul

Six waxwings today sitting on wires near Burnham Overy Town early this morning until a council lorry drove right underneath them. They flew off across the fields and did not return. Later at Waxham I counted 13 Common Cranes feeding in one of their usual spots.
Sue

Last edited:
Hi, Is it possible someone could pass on the details of the Great White Egret seen in Norwich recently? Havnt heard too much about it, but if its somewhere accessible i was thinking of paying it a trip.

Titchwell January 21st

Today's highlights

Woodcock - 1 roosting along Meadow Trail
Bittern - 1 several times in flight from Fen Hide
Spotted redshank - 1 on brackish marsh
Avocet - 9 on fresh marsh
Water pipit - 1 on fresh marsh islands
Black brant - adult on fresh marsh

I am on now leave so there will be no further updates from me until Feb 2nd

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back