• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this Larus Canus or Larus Brachyrynchos or something else. (1 Viewer)

Pluvius

Oh Gull experts These photos were taken in Gloucester Massachusetts USA and some birders are trying to identify them I offered to put the photos on this forum.

Attachments

• MEGU6.jpg
    MEGU6.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 127
  • MEGU7.jpg
    MEGU7.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 117
  • MEGU5.jpg
    MEGU5.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 126
  • MEGU3.jpg
    MEGU3.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 92
If it's an adult (not signs of immaturity except very small spots on primary covers, visible on only one pciture) pattern of P8, "small" mirrors, longuish bill, head not too streaked makes me think of Larus canus canus.

So just sit and wait for Jan's answer

Zzzzzz ;)

I see JanJ is here but I'm going to take my chance and say it looks good for L. canus to me. the black area in the wing tips appears more extensive than for mew gull due to the lack of prominant moons forming a bright string of pearls effect seen on most Mew Gulls.

Although variable the primary pattern in brachyrhynchus and canus (certain individuals quite similar in wing pattern), this one here shows not the so called 'typical' brachyrhynchus pattern, like the two below in the first links

http://www.ups.edu/Images/SlaterMuseum/gullwingspecimen79.jpg

http://www.miriameaglemon.com/Trip Photos/California 2006/P1080110 Mew Gull.jpg

canus:

http://www.tarsiger.com/images/Bruun/lar_can_1_003_4505.jpg

especially on p8 which lack the white 'moon' at the end of the pale tongue, which usually is longer, together with p7 than this, pattern on p8 somehow kind of 'fuzzy'.Mirror on p10+p9 rather small compared to canus which usually has larger mirrors, shorter tongues on p8+p7.
On the water looks big-billed shorter winged than brachhyrhynchus but that may be difficult to be sure of in this image

http://keenbirding.com/Winter06/KamGullpage.html

Vote is brachyrhynchus - but one on the untypical (?) end of variation.

JanJ

Last edited:
overworkedirish said:
AOU considers brachyrhynchus a ssp. of canus, no?
That's correct, the AOU does not split them. I am still torn on this one myself. As far as the Herring Gulls don't even get me started.

Ronayne88 said:
Please stop with the Latin! Theres no need for it.

Well yes, there are need for it - but the 'common' name should also be used along with the scientific name.

So, canus = Common Gull, brachyrhynchus = Mew Gull, kamtschatschensis = Kamchatka Gull.

JanJ

Yes true, its very confusing trying to follow the identity of a bird on the forum when all names are in a different language.

Ronayne88 said:
Yes true, its very confusing trying to follow the identity of a bird on the forum when all names are in a different language.

Sorry, Ronayne88! :brains: I actually remember how much it used to bug me before I got obsessed with taxonomy along with birds. We (well, at least I)'ll be nice and say both from now on, k? ;)

Ronayne88 said:

The idea of people using scientific names is that they are the same for everyone. Not everyone recognises English names as well as the Irish do. But English names should be used too.

Ronayne88 said:
Please stop with the Latin! Theres no need for it.

At least latin names are universal (at least more than English names) ! Taxonomy of Common/mew Gull is complicated and not universally agreed upon.
English is not my mother langage (as should be obvious from my poor spelling and grammar (o)< ) and I feel more confortable with latin names, it's not pedantry.

Do you prefer (seen in an other thread) : it's more like a BTD than a GND or ORW vs CRW ?? Stop with abbreviated names ! ;)

I get a little frustrated with these latin names at times, but when you put it the way you have i can see your point alright. Suppose i had better learn them.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back