• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digibinning/Digibinoing (1 Viewer)

Colin

Axeman (Retired)
England
I know that somewhere here, someone mentioned taking digital pictures thru one eyepiece of a binocular. The problem was keeping the whole thing steady.
I was sitting one a rock on a beach in northern Scotland a few days ago resting after a long hike and thought about this. I had my Nikon binnies (10x42) with me as well as my Nikon Coolpix 995. I tried an experiment and it worked. Firstly I was pleasantly surprised that the camera lens fitted snugly against the eyepiece. Hand holding the whole lot was a complete failure. Then, an idea. I 'straddled' the binnies (having focussed them first) over my thigh near to my knee. I then offered up the camera to one of the eyepieces and with the screen part swivelled upwards I could easily see the image. A tiny bit a refucussing and I had a good image. By altering the angle of my thigh with the ground I was able to alter pitch and I tried out a couple of shots of a cliff ( no birds ) and I was very happy with the result. A bit more practice and the pics should be OK. The critical thing is to get into a sitting position which is comfortable and thus avoids shaking.
Anyone else tried this or is there a better way.

Colin

Can't think of a better way of keeping 'em steady, Colin. Believe me, I've tried. I got a few 'passable' shots of Egrets with my Coolpix 775 through my Leica 8x42BA's. The annoying thing about the 775 is that you can't take an instant picture - you can't just hit the shutter button and get a picture - there's a really annoying delay, which means the action has happened by the time the shutter has 'gone off'.

Unless anyone knows otherwise, of course ...

B :)

Hi Ralph, dunno if you mean the delay that's caused by the camera's auto-focus locking on (or trying) to the subject or the usual bane of our lives.... shutter-lag. The AF can be bypassed by using 'infinity' focus mode on some Nikons, you can fine tune the focus on your bins to get a sharpish image on the camera's monitor.
Andy B,
Watford

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back