• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod help needed (1 Viewer)

barnetbirds

Hi All
I know its a boring question!!
Had to give up the sport a couple of years ago, family illness.
I am getting back into the sport, slowly, and hopefull not toooo expensive for the time being, now that my wife has been 'signed off' from the doctors.
Was googling all day yesterday and I have letters and numbers coming out of my brian in all directions.
Getting a small scope first, maybe an Opticron mm2, so the tripod/head doesnt have to be that 'bulky', the other thing is that I am only little, 5ft, so I dont want a great big thing, not too worried about weight, dont mind that.
Been looking at all the companies, Gitzo (a bit pricey), Sirui (also pricey), giottos, manfrotto, velbon etc etc.

The one i have put a ''star'' against was the manfrotto 190xprol with the 496rc2 ball head, quite like that but things have moved on in two years and I am a bit lost!!

Appreciate your help/advice
Terry

Disclaimer: I don't know a lot about tripods in general, just a bit about the one I bought.

I like to get that out there at the start - expectation management 3:)

Last year I bought a Sirui tripod (T-005X) with ball head because I wanted to mount the scope I had just bought - a weighty 80mm monster. Because the scope was heavy I wanted a lightweight tripod so the overall kit didn't weight too much. I did a lot of reading around and went for the Sirui because it weighed under 1kg yet would support 5kg+. It also folds down small (30cm) but will extend to a variety of heights. It has a removable central column that could be used with hide clamps too.

I bought minne from Amazon who still have them for around £70, cheaper than the Manfrotto.

And I am delighted with my purchase! :-O

Manfrotto 190 XB and 128RC video head. Started out with the old version of this and a Kowa TSN-1 and used the tripod for over 20 years before upgrading to carbon fiber.

Manfrotto 190 XB and 128RC video head. Started out with the old version of this and a Kowa TSN-1 and used the tripod for over 20 years before upgrading to carbon fiber.

Whoa, a 190XB with 128RC is huge overkill for an mm2!

On the over hand a Sirui T-005x with an 80mm scope is serious underkill! But it would work nice with the mm2. There's a carbon version as well (T-025X) that seems OK. I might like a bit more tripod, even for a little scope.

Reverse the recommendations and you're close to home. ;)

I'm using an ancient "Travelite" with my ED50, so that's no help. But it weighs 1060gm and that strikes me as enough weight for a little scope if the tripod is high quality.

Many people like the Velbon Ultra-Luxi or some such for the little scopes. I forget the details, but hopefully someone will be along, or else you can research it some more here on BF.

Hope this helps,
Mark

I don't know if they are common where you are but Induro and Benro make very good tripods that are lighter, stronger and cheaper than the Manfrottos. Also check out the new Vanguard PH-114 video head Light strong and around a hundred dollars US. Just dont mess with the 113 some design flaws to save a few bucks. I have had an Induro for over a year with a Kowa 884 scope and love it. I recently replaced my Manfrotto 502 with the Vanguard as while the Mannfrotto does a wonderful job I got tired of carrying it. I just got a Benro and I am equally impressed.
Steve

Thanks Stephen,

Good to hear that vanguard has not invented their own thread size.
3/8 seems to be used most freqently.

Anders

also look at Benro tripods,
very decent carbon fibre tripods.
and a bit cheaper than Sirui.

But, if you have the money, get a Gitzo!

have decided to buy an Induro.
My son is travelling around Canada/States and have put an order in with him to do a bit of shopping. He will be stopping off in San Francisco/San Diego for more than a few days!!
Thanks to all for your help/advice.
TC

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back