• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is there a camera out there for me? (1 Viewer)

SanAngelo

After reading this, I would appreciate an honest input. You can recommend a camera or from you're experience as a professional/hobbyist you can tell me to hang it up....the frustration won't be worth it, take up bowling or fishing, or maybe golf...!!...or some other hobby of your suggestion.

Here's the qualifier; I have an essential tremor. I've had it all my life, with age it has gotten worst. I have no precision control with my left hand. The good thing is; I'm right handed.

In 2002 I owned a Kodak Easy Share camera purchased to take ebay pictures. More recently I've borrowed a Cannon Power Shot SX400 IS for the same reason. Other than this, due to the tremors, I have no experience with cameras nor gave them much thought.

Here's the thing, whenever I use a camera at least 70% of the pictures come out blurred.

I know there are image stabilizers but cutting through what would work, in my case, is a daunting endeavor unless you have the cameras in hand.

Surfing BirdForum, seeing all the fantastic pictures has peaked my curiosity and generated this question. It looks like fun and maybe it's something I could do.

Thanks for the help.

Bill

Presuming that your tremor is only on the left hand I would suggest some options for taking pictures with birds. Obviously, you can not use this suggestions in any situation, but I think you'll be able to take some good shots.
1 - Use a tripod for supporting your gear I presume you'll be able to achieve good results.
2 - Use another support for your gear. For example, a beanbag (on the ground, on the frame of a car window and so on).

I have tremors in both hands. Precision control diminishes with age, tremors increase with age. Because my right hand is my dominant hand the left is affected more by the tremors. Essential Tremors is not like Parkinson’s where Parkinson there’s a tremor in the static, at rest state. Essential Tremors are displayed in the most mundane task, such as writing one’s name, carrying a dish or cup…..and so on.

I like the idea of a monopod, not conscious of the hobby/profession, it never came to mind. I do most of my birding while hiking, a tripod wouldn’t be so practical but a monopod I think I could handle. A tripod is a good idea, if I’m not on the trail.

Now..…is there a camera I should look at, something that could bring down my percentage of blurred pictures with image stabilization?

Firstly one question: is your tremor dependent on the amount of weight your hands are carrying? Is weight of the camera an issue or not?

Many cameras both in the superzoom and the dSLR classes claim to have lenses with image stabilization that works up to 4 units (each unit corresponds to a doubling of the shutter time). However, I doubt they are made for this kind of tremor. Therefore, I would go for a camera that can use high iso without much negative effects, and therefore can keep the shutter time very short.

If you are wanting to not go too expensive at the start, I would go Pana FZ1000 in the superzoom range. It has a (for a superzoom) larger sensor which should make the high iso images less problematic.

If you are thinking about more expensive dSLR equipment, then reply with a price range.

Niels

I can't say weight makes a difference. What would make a difference is balancing/securing an object with both hands and then freeing one hand ever so slightly. Even on binoculars I have this problem when focusing or making a diopter adjustment. I use a marine cup/faceshield which secures the glass to my face limiting the movement.

I don't have a problem with the cost. I would just hate to purchase a camera that can't compensate for my infliction.

As written in the OP, I have no knowledge of photography. That said, units, shutter time, iso...are all new terminology to me. So, it's not so much IS but more in relation to the ISO as determine shutter speed?

Thanks Niels, I'll look over the Pana FZ1000 data.

The "Panasonic FZ1000 Review..." thread in the Panasonic Sub-Forums was an excellent read; testaments for an all-in-one camera and tons of work-arounds for the discriminating photographer. At the start of the thread there was a couple concerns about the weight and bulkiness but never mentioned again. Other than that, I found no hint of difficulty while holding.

There's no camera store in my area, the closest thing to it is a BestBuy with none in stock. It appears any camera I select will likely be purchased sight unseen.

Anyone else have a camera suggestion?

With your level of interest, I think a superzoom is a good first step. If you get really hooked you can upgrade to more expensive models later.

You probably will have to get beyond the all automatic level of use pretty quickly. I am not sure where I would send you for further knowledge in that direction (when I started out there were books to read), but questions within the brand specific sections of Birdforum or in the technique section likely will give good answers.

Niel s

I'm going to pull the trigger on the FZ1000. It appears to be a solid choice. Other than fanboys and intensely discriminating photographers there doesn't seem to be bad reviews....I don't see a downside to this decision.

I'm excited, I'm looking forward to making this work. It's all about the tremors, if I can't get beyond them I'll resell it and take the hit for a 100 bucks or whatever. I'll be worth the time, effort, and money to put this to rest.

I'll need a couple days to sort out on-line sellers for the best price/package. That said, there's time if someone wants to suggest a different camera.

Thanks to all for inputs and taking time to scan this thread.

/r

Bill

No need to suggest anything else, camera wise, I purchased the FZ1000.

Thanks again...Niels for suggesting the camera, Steve and Cristian for the work-around ideas.

Also like to thank all the members who posted questions & replies to older topics in the Camera and Photography Forum. I spent a lot time reading and educating myself; there's a great wealth of information, just gotta look for it. :t:

Might be best to take any response into a thread in the Panasonic section, but I am curious to hear how you are getting along?

Niels

The camera's in route. Per the shipping email, it's due to arrive on Tuesday the 13th of October.

I'll move over to the Panasonic section, with my updates, shortly thereafter.

Tks for the concern.

Bill,

I hope you get along well with your choice (of which I know nothing about :)

When it comes to your condition, a helpful technique may be to use either a tripod or sandbag rest, and the camera's timer (presuming it has one! :)

A mate of mine does this with quite some success on all manner of raptors using a DSLR, and anywhere from a 2 second delay upwards - depending on the situation. Most birds are moving slowly on the ground, perched, roosting etc.

With all manner of remotes, and smartphone apps these days, the need to even touch the camera can be removed ..... perhaps such techniques can work for you.

For BIF shots, or fast moving geewizzits, and waders, etc, then you may want to upgrade one day ---- try and stick with fast lenses and shutter speeds and some form of OIS equipment ..... usually that means an APS-C DSLR and some fast glass (300mm f2.8 +2xTC, or 500mm f4 work well) if you want to shoot in lower light, although some good things are being done with the 150-600mm superzoom telephoto lenses, and also with the 4/3rds, and the Nikon1 formats .....

Good luck with your superzoom bridge :t:

Chosun :gh:

For perched birds I would think a remote of some kind would help a lot as mentioned above for flight shots in good light try 1/4000 sec .

Rob.

I appreciate all the suggestions, thanks Rob and Chosun.....I'm taking notes.

In my head, there's this excitement brewing over the chance of not needing aids. Oh, I know a tripod, or a monopod, or sandbag will eventually be in my tool bag but the thought of successfully taking pictures without aids is nothing less than an achievement. Friends and family would attest to that. However, everyone would know it's not a measure of my abilities but a testament to the camera.

In the next day or so I should have the camera in hand.

Last edited:
I shake and have a mono pod and am finding it difficult, not impossible to get the shots I want. I am about to purchase a carbon fiber tripod and weebly/gimble head and will try and get a remote or remote cable later on for shutter release.

Good luck
Ash.

I shake and have a mono pod.....

WOW...birds-of-a-feather think alike.....or at least have the same needs.

I purchased a used Velbon RUP-43 mono pod with a ball head and quick release plate mount. I love it...!! I'm having so much fun. I get more clear shots than blurred. They're not quality; it's not the tremor's fault, it's the operator's fault. I'm still learning how to get the camera to work for me. I have a long, long way to go.

Earlier in this thread Steve suggested the mono pod, Chosun and Cristian suggested a sandbag. I haven't researched the sandbag, don't even know what it looks like, but it's the next aid on my list.

At some point I'll want a tripod, right now I'm not giving it much thought.

Speaking about the tremors....when I was researching mono pods I came across a post in the comment section to some MP review. The guy lit up my day, he was attesting to how he had Parkinson's and how the mono pod helped him stay in the hobby. Gotta love that guy.....!!

Thanks Ash for sharing your thoughts. After I got the camera I started a thread in the Panasonic Sub Forum. Haven't posted there recently, don't have much to add.

WOW...birds-of-a-feather think alike.....or at least have the same needs.

I purchased a used Velbon RUP-43 mono pod with a ball head and quick release plate mount. I love it...!! I'm having so much fun. I get more clear shots than blurred. They're not quality; it's not the tremor's fault, it's the operator's fault. I'm still learning how to get the camera to work for me. I have a long, long way to go.

Earlier in this thread Steve suggested the mono pod, Chosun and Cristian suggested a sandbag. I haven't researched the sandbag, don't even know what it looks like, but it's the next aid on my list.

At some point I'll want a tripod, right now I'm not giving it much thought.

Speaking about the tremors....when I was researching mono pods I came across a post in the comment section to some MP review. The guy lit up my day, he was attesting to how he had Parkinson's and how the mono pod helped him stay in the hobby. Gotta love that guy.....!!

Thanks Ash for sharing your thoughts. After I got the camera I started a thread in the Panasonic Sub Forum. Haven't posted there recently, don't have much to add.

You might also want to look at Shoulder Pods. I have a Cullmann. They give you about the same stability as a monopod, but are smaller, lighter and more flexible. You can even use them as a mini tripod, as the model I have has three "feet" that open out that form part of the shoulder pad, but can be used when the pod is in a vertical position. You can see some images of one here.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...rvHKHaiPM:&usg=__aYxQRD3xhu6Csi1HQ-Uqx8gszrc=

Regards

Rodger

You might also want to look at Shoulder Pods. I have a Cullmann......

Thanks, I was hoping someone would bring that up.

I saw the post on the Cullmann Shoulder-Table-Pod #80 in the Equipment Reviews Tripod & Head Sub Forum. It's been in the back of my mind ever since. I've done the usual searches looking for reviews and testaments to their practicality, haven't found much.

Here's my concern....I need something that will work for me while hiking; 5-6 hours on the trail, moderate to strenuous day hikes.

Until I purchased this camera my normal set up is a North Face lumbar system waist pack with a full shoulder harness. On one side of the belt is a small tot bag, on the other side is a field guide in a leather book pouch. I carry my glass, no neck strap. I'm thinking I could get a neck strap for the glass and carry the camera on the mono pod. It just seem so cumbersome.

I've only had the camera for a few weeks. I'll be doing a test hike in the next week or so, as soon as I'm caught up.

Maybe my understanding is wrong......when you guys hit the field, do you leave your binocs behind and just take the camera and lens...??....tell me it ain't so...!!

I nearly always take binoculars, but on many occasions they are essential. With the FZ1000, you won't need any extra lenses. The shoulder pod is light and when folded, very small. It has a loop on it so you can attach it to something, like a cord. It would fit in a reasonably sized pocket. Do you have a fisherman's/photographer's jacket that lots of pockets inside and out? That would allow easy storage for smaller items.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back