• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baader Hyperion Finetuning Rings and Celestron (1 Viewer)

I have a Celestron 80mm Regal M2 that is equipped with a 17mm Baader Hyperion. Baader has two finetuning rings, one 28mm and the other 14mm. A very inexpensive solution to gaining some magnification. I read several reviews of the finetuning rings before purchasing and everything was positive, nobody had any problems to report. I purchased the 28mm Hyperion finetuning ring which should change the focal length to 10.8 mm. At shorter distances it works great but unfortunately it will not focus at infinity. None of the reports I read were specific to the Celestron. Anyone have any experience with the finetuning rings and the Celestron?

I have a Celestron 80mm Regal M2 that is equipped with a 17mm Baader Hyperion. Baader has two finetuning rings, one 28mm and the other 14mm. A very inexpensive solution to gaining some magnification. I read several reviews of the finetuning rings before purchasing and everything was positive, nobody had any problems to report. I purchased the 28mm Hyperion finetuning ring which should change the focal length to 10.8 mm. At shorter distances it works great but unfortunately it will not focus at infinity. None of the reports I read were specific to the Celestron. Anyone have any experience with the finetuning rings and the Celestron?

I have the same setup as you, but with the addition of having both the 14mm and 28mm rings as well as the 13mm eyepiece in addition to the 17mm. The 17mm works fine with the 14mm ring, but I've had the same issue as you with the 28mm not focusing to infinity. I believe the 13mm focuses fine with the 14mm, but I can't recall if it focuses to infinity with the 28mm, unfortunately. I don't believe either focus to infinity with both rings installed.

FWIW, comparing the 13mm to the 17mm+14mm ring. I found the 17mm+Ring to have slightly less eye relief, but it's still usable with glasses. The overall picture is perhaps a little less sharp, but not much.

My only other complaint is that installing the extension in the field often results in visible dust in the eyepiece.

Josh, thanks for the info. I was thinking about getting the 14mm ring but didn't know if it would also have the focusing issue as the 28mm. Since it works for you I will try it.

480 fl/28=17.14X
I'd speculate the scope is not designed to adjust to that low a magnification.
Your zoom starts at 24mm/20X if I'm not mistaken.

Just a follow up on this post. I did obtain the 14mm Fine tuning ring and it works very well with the 17mm Baader. Not a bad deal for $22.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back