• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Canon IS Models (1 Viewer)

The start of price reductions on the new Canon's ?

10x32 is £1034 (£1299)
12x32 is £1074 (£1349)
14x32 is £1111 (£1399)

At microglobe.co.uk

Stan

Last edited:
I wonder if this is a cost cutting exercise. All other models will be dropped ?
The new line all appear to have the same body design with different eyepieces.

Last edited:
I suppose I'd have to see side by side photos of 10x32is & 10x30isII but from my limited perspective, the 10x32 appears quite bulky in the videos. I also have trouble understanding how the extra 2mm of objective size could justify 180 gram weight increase, given that they still aren't waterproof.

The only complaint that I ever had with the 10x30isII is that it wasn't waterproof and it didn't have L lenses. My only complaint with the 10x42 is the clunky eyepieces. I would love hear additional information about the new series that gets me excited but at the current prices the 32's seem very disappointing. The MSRP for the 10x32 is 250% higher than the current street price of the 10x30isII. Considering how good overall, the 10x30isII performs, I can't figure out how Canon is going to market these, side by side with the old.

My thought has always been that Canon didn't sell the previous line of binoculars for substantial profit. How can they with an MSRP of $1999 and an Amazon price of $1029? Though their isn't an indication of Canon dropping their older line, if they do, this could be the beginning of a profit drive. Perhaps a shift by Canon, a era where we lose some really nice products at fair prices and trade that with a mix of loss and gain, at much higher prices. I hope this isn't the case though.

Having used a pair of Canon 12x36 IIs as my main birding glass for many years, I am looking forward to trying the new 12x32 version. The only issue I've ever had with the 12x36s is the poor close focus, and the new models nicely address that.

Clear skies, Alan

I am looking forward to trying the new 12x32 version. The only issue I've ever had with the 12x36s is the poor close focus, and the new models nicely address that.

My hope had always been that Canon would release a premium, IS WP L in the 8x32 format. I've never used the 8x25 model but if the IS is as good as the 10x30 IS II, it must be a very stable image at 8x. Since we didn't get an 8x32 and I already have the 10x42IS L and 10x30IS II, I'm thinking about the same 12x32 that you're interested in trying. The idea of a sub 3mm exit pupil would be a bit of a departure for me but I'd still like to try one.

My hope had always been that Canon would release a premium, IS WP L in the 8x32 format. I've never used the 8x25 model but if the IS is as good as the 10x30 IS II, it must be a very stable image at 8x. Since we didn't get an 8x32 and I already have the 10x42IS L and 10x30IS II, I'm thinking about the same 12x32 that you're interested in trying. The idea of a sub 3mm exit pupil would be a bit of a departure for me but I'd still like to try one.

The 18x50s have a 2.8mm exit pupil. I've never found that an issue for me. The 12x32 will be just slightly smaller. Not too concerned but definitely want to try a pair.

Clear skies, Alan

The Nikon Stabileyes are 12x32 and 16x32. Also 14x40.
So exit pupil is 2.0mm to ~2.8mm.
I have never tried them.

Fujinon exit pupils are also small.

I have had no problems with Canon 18x50 IS.

Wex Photo and Video is now showing the 12x32 as in stock.

I spoke to the Canon Rep in store a while ago and comments from the public at the Birdfair launch included the large (oversized? eyecups), were a bit unusual and the IS was not instantaneous.

If I happen to be in Norwich I will definitely check them out.

Anyone already seen one of the new Canons?

Amazon in Germany already lists them as "available", albeit at a ridiculously high price:

https://www.amazon.de/Canon-Ferngla...ords=canon+IS+fernglas&refinements=p_89:Canon

Hermann

They are just out on the Swiss market (yes, with „premium“ prices here as well), and I will get a 10x32 on Sat for testing and comparing to my current Canons (10x30 IS II, 10x42 IS).

Will try to write a review over the weekend. Specific questions welcome.

Hi Canip.
Is the IS more like the 8x25 IS with front stabilizer lens element seen to be working, or like other variprisms, or like Fujinon or Nikon?
Or is it another type of electronic system, perhaps similar to current monocular ISs?

There are also Russian 20x50,10x50 and 25x55. Great claims, but I don't believe them.
The older Russian 16x50 apparently worked as a 16x35 as only a part of the objective was used, different bits at a time. Maybe that was pure mechanical. The newer ones seem to float in a magic strong magnetic field.
The problems with the newer Russian ones seem to be that a test sample was out of alignment. Some say they only work horizontally, others claim that they also worked on Jupiter. But are they really suitable for non horizontal work, and how reliable are they?

But I doubt that they are reliable without military tech support. Although all these Russian ones may work over 6 degree rather than 3 degree or Canon 1 deg movement.

Last edited:
The 2017 Japanese catalogue has the details. The new models are surprisingly expensive, the 14x32 has the same list price as the 10x42 L at 180,000 Yen

The IS is a new design quote: "the shift-type camera shake correction mechanism cultivated with the EOS lens of the EOS system."

There appear to be 2 x IS modes 'powered' and 'general'

The power consumption figures listed are a quarter or less than the 10x42,15x50 and 18x50 which have quote:

Variangle prism (VAP) wraps liquid with two glasses and a bellows-like tube, the so-called "liquid lens" of the structure. By changing the shape of this lens according to the blur, refraction it changes the direction and instantly stabilizes the image. The unit is connected and driven by a simple mechanical mechanism."

http://cweb.canon.jp/pdf-catalog/binoculars/pdf/binoculars.pdf

Last edited:
Canon 10x32 IS vs. Canon 10x30 IS and Canon 10x42 L IS

Dear Birdforum members,

I just published the promised report here:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/586499-canon-launch-3-new-is-binos/page-2#entry8197486

(go to post # 46)

and trust it is okay for you to use this link.

As to Binastro's question (post # 55): I am not really sure which technology Canon uses in its newest binocular series. It is probably similar to the technology used in the 10x42, judging from the way the system enagages when the button is pressed, it makes the same "click" and exhibits the same slight delay before engaging after pressing the button.. But I cannot really say much more on technology, I haven’t found a detailed explanation from Canon or anybody else yet.

Canip

Last edited:
Canip/Pinac:

Many thanks for your detailed review! The huge eyecups (49mm in diameter!) and the smallish dioptric compensation range are deal breakers for me. In an earlier post I had predicted that using the new Canons with ones of the largest eyecups in the bino world would be difficult without glasses---any idea what purpose such large eyecups could serve? I still have hope that we'll see a 10x42L IS-II with improved eyecups and ergos in this decade....

Peter

Dear Maico,
Post 56.

Although I didn't see a translation, it seems the new 32mm IS Canons use a moving lens element as with the 8x25 IS.
In the 8x25 this element is near the objectives, but in the 32s it seems to be quite far back in the optics train, maybe similar to camera lens IS shift elements.

If I got this right then there should be no limit to the binocular aperture.
150mm aperture camera lenses and maybe a few larger use IS.

So there should be no reason to exclude 42mm, 50mm or larger Canon IS binoculars.

I notice from the link that the smallest deviation is with the 8x25, i.e. the most accurate IS and this seems correct with one of the 8x25s I used. But the 10x30 Mk II that I have is as good and possibly even better than the good 8x25 although I didn't try them side by side. I did notice very rapid small oscillations in this 8x25 which are only noticed if one looks very carefully for them.

Canip/Pinac:

..... any idea what purpose such large eyecups could serve? .....

Not the slightest idea !
But again, that‘s me talking, with an IPD of 61mm.
People with wide IPDs may be happy with them.

On the other hand, all those observing wearing their glasses may also not like the folded down eyecups, since eye relief is not huge and the folded down eyecups prevent you from having your glasses touch the eyelenses, so you most likely lose some FOV.

The solution may be to exchange the regular eyecups with other ones that fit; a winged design might be ideal.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back