• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Rube Goldberg" scope adapter (1 Viewer)

GR Triever

For those who prefer an adapter so you can swing the camera out of the way, I've built an adapter that includes a Panavise cellular phone mount, an aluminum rod, a rubber grommet, and a foam foregrip from a fishing rod. If anybody's interested in the details for this monstrosity, please email me.

Sure, here they are. The mount on the adapter top plate is for the Toshiba PDR-4300 camera, since it doesn't have threads on its lens.

I cut a 1 - 11/16" rubber grommet in half and inserted it into the threaded lens mount so I wouldn't have metal to metal contact with the eyepiece of the scope.

The Panavise cellular phone mount is a model 727-09; I drilled out the 4 inner holes in the top plate, and attached it to the aluminum rod (as the foot plate for the adapter) using 2 U-bolts and some plastic spacers that I had laying around my shop. I then removed the foot plate from the cell mount, and cut a piece of aluminum stock to attach to the top of it in order to attach the camera. You could attach the adapter directly to the tripod handle, but I prefer this for the times when I'm not going to be using the camera.

I have a 4 - 1/2" long, 1/2" ID foam foregrip (used in custom fishing rod construction) to pad the adapter "handle", which is not installed at this time.

Attachments

• cam2lens.jpg
    cam2lens.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 342
OOPS! Sorry, 2nd pic didn't make it. Here's the adapter lowered from the lens (and I can't show you the camera attached, 'cause unfortunately I had to have 'something' to take the pic with!):

Attachments

• camlowered.jpg
    camlowered.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 323
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back