• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Liberty optics on Hawke bins at SHOT show 2009 (1 Viewer)

Kevin Purcell

From

http://libertyoptics.blogspot.com/2009/01/shot-show-report-day-2.html

Probably the most noteworthy of the Hawke products is new Frontier ED binos,featuring phase coated ED optics, great field of view and open hinge design. Optically, these were very good, but the over-sized focus knob did not have a consistent feel for me. Still, for $350 you get the "Best from China" in a bino I've seen.

My only concern with Hawke is the 'Worldwide Warranty" which is not explained in writing but told to me it only applies to the original owner. I counseled the corporate "powers that be" that a "no hassle" warranty service is a huge key for success in a competitive market, and strongly advised a revision. I'll leave it at that.

$350?

Hmmmm. Still $479 on the website. That's not dealer price is it?

I have to agree that was the first thing that caught my eye as I read through the quote. My guess is that you are correct and that it is dealer pricing. Either that or we are about to see a significant price drop to make it more competitive with the Zen Ray.

It might be the latter. I thought the price hike from $429 was unjustified (as I have said several times) looks like it might be coming down a bit.

I emailed Scott to ask him if this was dealer price. Apparently not.

Kevin,

$350 for the 8x43 and $360 for the 10x43 would be our price.

Thanks,

Scott
--
Scott Berish
Liberty Optics LLC
An Official Vendor of Sniper's Paradise & Sniper's Hide.
"See Better, Shoot Better"
www.libertyoptics.com
406-890-2714 (W)
352-572-1469 (C)

I don't know if he has stock yet ... but I've asked.

Definitely pass along what the response is. That seems like a significant price drop. I have had my taste of the 8x. Now I am wondering if the 10x model is worth a go. Do you remember anyone that has had the opportunity to try the 10x version? I wonder if it has the same stray light concern (smaller true field of view but just as large of an apparent one).

Definitely pass along what the response is. That seems like a significant price drop. I have had my taste of the 8x. Now I am wondering if the 10x model is worth a go. Do you remember anyone that has had the opportunity to try the 10x version? I wonder if it has the same stray light concern (smaller true field of view but just as large of an apparent one).

I don't know of any Hawke 10x users.

But given the Hawke 8x is just a bit less bright than the ZR ED 8x then it seems that the ZR 10x might be a better choice. I haven't compared the specs. Still the price is very good so compared to the ZR ED with the coupon it's a good deal.

I suspect the "outside the stop halo" might be a wide FOV (or perhaps something not quite done as well as it could be in EP) so it may not appear in the 10x.

But I still haven't reallly pushed the ZR for stray light issues but I curiously rather liked using the 10x which rather surprised me!

I wonder if this is a sign of things to come? Or do Hawke need to shift more product? Or is this one dealer being aggressive as he does say "our price".

Kevin,

Seems to me "our price" sounds like that's what Liberty pays the distributor or manufacturer. $479 sounds like retail. That's a fair margin.

Cheers

Kevin,

Seems to me "our price" sounds like that's what Liberty pays the distributor or manufacturer. $479 sounds like retail. That's a fair margin.

Cheers

Nope.

$350 is the retail (shipped) price. I have exchanged a few emails with him. With a 10 off order he said he could do better.

To cover everything, I contacted Hawke and we are are set up to order.

If guys on your site wanted to get together we could sharpen our pencils a bit more. Say 10 pireces of the Frontier ED. Other products in the Hawke line available also.

Scott

I have once talked to Scott over the phone, just a annonymous general sort of conversation about "which binocular" that they probably get kind of tired of, but I was curious to see what advice I got. He seemed to be pretty knowledge and a decent sort, but he was definitely not a made in china fan. He was a real Vortex Viper proponent. I guess it demonstrates that when you get hit "in the eye" with what these are compared to what they can be sold for, that gets any body's attention.

Wouldn't it be something if we could get enough people together to put together an order?

What would you guys like to call them?

;)

Where do I sign up?

Either talk to Scott a Liberty Optics or start a thread and see if you can get enough people to commit to get a deal going.

Not sure about the mechanics but I suspect that all Scott needs to do is put an order in for 10 or more in one go and his regular shipping and distribution will deal with the rest of it. So he just needs 10 names.

Of course I already have one so I won't be one ...

Can it really be that easy?

I don't see why not. It'll be a bit like herding sheep (especially getting the last couple and getting everyone to pay).

But forums like this are supposed to be about organizing people ;)

Not sure what the 10 off discount is ... but if we get an interest then I guess we ask!

What a unique opportunity. Imagine if we could do this with other bins.

I can see it now.

Binocuholics of the world unite!

...and save money...

;)

Give it time. Just wait until the Japenese price increase hits the market...and the high end Alphas give us another yearly price increase.

;)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back