• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flash Bird Paintings for All (1 Viewer)

A 15 minuter just to get my 'head in the game' ('Gotta! Gotta! Gotta get your head in the game!'). Obviously one of my favourite subjects at the moment!

Actually that beak's a bit lightweight now that I stop to look at it...Hmmm...Nevermind.

Mike

Attachments

• 15min-4.jpg
    15min-4.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 68
beak, shape, plumage and just about every other characteristic yet assigned to falco peregrinus looks absolutely marvellous here Mike! One of the best this thread has yet been graced with IMO.

beak, shape, plumage and just about every other characteristic yet assigned to falco peregrinus looks absolutely marvellous here Mike! One of the best this thread has yet been graced with IMO.

I have to agree. I can't speak at all about doing peregrine paintings, or hawk paintings in general for that matter. But I've found that when its windy their feathers fly about and it's hard to see the form, even though you know it's there. I think you've done a great job of showing form, feathers in the wind, feather markings all in 15 minutes. Just what flash paintings were meant to do. Like some of Tim and Nick's work I could see a book from the collected works.

A 15 minuter just to get my 'head in the game' ('Gotta! Gotta! Gotta get your head in the game!'). Obviously one of my favourite subjects at the moment!

Actually that beak's a bit lightweight now that I stop to look at it...Hmmm...Nevermind.

Mike

Speechless!

If that's a measure of what's to come, I am earnestly eager to see that result.

well after the disasters with the portraits, I'm so happy to be painting birds...2 15 min warm ups to get me started, both from sketches and photos of last winter lesser scaups( or maybe greater I can't tell) at Bodega Bay.

While I was drawing a boat of fishermen came in and scared them off as they had gathered by the dock, I asked what kind of duck it was, and they told me, then said "we've shot hundreds no thousands of those" I said not a word, but one of the more aware fisherman muttered to the group " oh yeah, like we impressed the hell out of her" They assured me the ducks would come back after the boat left and they did, but not for long...I'd like to do a painting I think

Attachments

• flash scaup.jpg
    flash scaup.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 47
  • flash scaup male and female_2216.jpg
    flash scaup male and female_2216.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 51
fantastic stuff - much more impressive than the exploits of the men in the boat (I'm not anti-wildfowling as such, it's just not my cup of tea, but I do find it rather amusing that some men think it impresses people). These are just superb observations of light and wet mud

Hi Colleen, very nice indeed. The second has the edge for me, like the alertness of the male bird in the centre, adds a lot of presence to the scene. As Nick points out the wetness of the mud and water is conveyed very nicely indeed...

Very nice indeed and another vote for number two. I just wonder if squeezing the space between the centre bird and one of the flankers might set up the tension a little more. Love to see the worked up version.

Hi Colleen, very nice indeed. The second has the edge for me, like the alertness of the male bird in the centre, adds a lot of presence to the scene. As Nick points out the wetness of the mud and water is conveyed very nicely indeed...

Yes. They're both nice and highlight the wetness of the mud and water. But I also have to give the nod to number two.

Nice "quicky" sketches Colleen. From your painting only I'd say they are Lesser Scaup. If I remember right, in Greater the high point of the head is in the front--in Greater its toward the rear as kind of a cowlick or crest. My best guess.

Sid reread your comment, think there is a typo and I'd like to know what you said..here is a photo

Attachments

• lesser scaup ramp _5882.jpg
    lesser scaup ramp _5882.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 61
look like lesser scaups to me, not particularly beefy, peaked head etc. (We don't get lesser scaups round here though)

Sorry Colleen. Forgot to reread my comment. Should say Greater Scaup-head peaks in front. Lesser Scaup - peak (high point) is toward the back. Better now??

No time to read the threads properly this last week, (far too much day job and rehearsals/performances for my daughter in Billy Elliot). I see some great stuff going on and I'll get a better look later but, for now here's my 15 minute warm up this morning. I've included the sketch and set-up just in case anyone's interested. My watch is blu-tacked to the board and I swear it ticks faster when I'm doing these flash paintings!

Right, I'm off to get some work done before I have a haircut then take Beth over to the theatre for the matinee! (she's playing 'dead Mum' and is flippin' brilliant!)

Mike

Attachments

• 15min-5.jpg
    15min-5.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 15-min-setup.jpg
    15-min-setup.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 59
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back