• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Field sketching/painting/illustration, etc (1 Viewer)

Vectis Birder

Itchy feet
I am not entirely certain where to put this thread, so I have put it here. If this is the wrong place, feel free to shift it! It doesn't seem to fit anywhere else...

I was wondering, does anyone on this form practise bird art, whether field sketches or full blown paintings, etc?

I like drawing, and would like to add drawings, etc, to notes, but I always seem to give up, due to lack of confidence in them! Funnily enough, I am not that bad at art, and got an O Level in it at school (top grade). I guess it may just be a confidence thing. So, as someone who would like to be better at drawing I would like to hear from others who sketch and paint, or attempt to...

Also, I have considered, in the past, getting into natural history illustration so again, would like to hear from anybody in that field. I still consider it from time to time, but cannot afford to give up the day job!

Hi Faith! A search in our gallery will uncover a tremendous amount of sketches and artwork done by our talented members. Just below the gallery photos, there will be different categories. Scroll down til you get to "artwork/graphics" and just click on that.

Hi Faith, there seems to be growing interest in wildlife art/illustration and we'll give some though to creating a new forum for this.... be a nice antidote to the dominance of photography on here.
regards,
Andy

Hi there Faith

yes I draw and paint

line drawings in black and white (using rotring pens etc) and paint using watercolours and gouache

i try to sketch when i'm ut inthe field especially if i see something unusual.

I have a bit of talent but need to learn the techniques better. That is, i can draw and get proportions correct etc but sometimes my painting technique is a bit poor - i often 'overpaint' and am not natural enough......thinjk i take to much time rather than having a glass of wine and letting it flow

Andy Bright said:
Hi Faith, there seems to be growing interest in wildlife art/illustration and we'll give some though to creating a new forum for this.... be a nice antidote to the dominance of photography on here.
regards,
Andy
Hi Andy
This sounds like a good idea. Not that I'm anti-photography!

Hi Faith
Like everybody else, I dabble in the area, but don't feel qualified to give out much advice. However, easier said than done I appreciate, confidence in the quality of the painting isn't the issue, beauty is in the eye of the beholder! It's the confidence in finishing it and the confidence of keeping on going and continuing with new ones in your own style that is important.

Hi Faith, I enjoy painting birds and animals, unfortunately I have never had an art lesson in my life but still manage to paint a bird to look like the real thing. I use Acrelics. Some examples are in my gallery, let me know what you think. Tanny

Thanks for the replies people, much appreciated. Andy, I would love to see a dedicated art section on here, that would be fantastic.
I will certainly be scrolling through the Gallery over the coming evenings and weekend.

Hi Faith, I can't escape the day job either, but it wont stop me trying!

I'd love to see a bird art forum here too, maybe if there's enough interest how about an art comp, along the same lines as the photo comps?

As to confidence, go to any exhibitions you can, sometimes I find that I look at the work on display and think "I'll get me coat" other times it's just inspiring, and others I'll look and think "I can do that!" Whatever my reaction it's all grist for the mill and I think it keeps me experimenting and hopefully improving.

Keep creating and I'd love to see some examples in the gallery.

Woody

Hello Faith, nice to hear from a fellow artist!

I've been told by people who are in the know that drawing and painting is like playing a musical instrument - you've got to practice every day to keep your hand in and I've always followed this advice wherever possible in the six months that I've been painting seriously. When you look back at old samples of work you will see a marked improvement in quality as time goes by, even if you only put in an hour a day.

I spoke to a famous wildlife artist recently and when I said that I hoped my work would someday be as good as his, he showed me the first painting he ever did and then another painting done 12 months later - the difference between the two was amazing.

Don't be disheartened if your work doesn't turn out as well as you hoped (I've always thought that every painting I've done could have been done better, with hindsight!) - learn from the experience and proceed to the next one. Hope to see some samples of your work in BF soon.

geedub

Can drawing and painting be learned, or taught to someone from scratch, or does it emanate from a natural talent and nurtured to maturity?

A bit of both, I think, Pete. I have always been good at drawing, but it does have to be learned as well. And lots of practice, too. That is something I am going to be rectifying over the coming months, as I am well out of practice!

pete1950 said:
Can drawing and painting be learned, or taught to someone from scratch, or does it emanate from a natural talent and nurtured to maturity?
I've always maintained that you can teach anyone to draw provided they are willing to learn. Drawing is essentially a mechanical process so once the 'rules' are grasped drawing can be pretty straightforward.

However what you cannot do is to teach somebody to be creative. Creativity involves breaking the rules at times or following at others, it involves finding your own way an I think that stems from inate ability and this can be encouraged but not taught.

Just my interpretation though!

Woody

Thanks Faith & Woody.

I'm a little long in the tooth now, also I’m disabled so I have plenty of time on my hands; I have always had an interest in art, although I hold a preference in writing to sate my frustrated ambitions.

One of my sons is an accomplished artist but is moody with it so he won't share his talent, however Serif UK have a CD on offer that they claim holds about a years worth of art lessons, as it's only £9.99 I might give it a go.

No! Think positive, I will give it a go.

pete1950 said:
No! Think positive, I will give it a go.
Good for you Pete!
I agree with Woody, anybody can do the art, it's the creativity and inspiration and practice that folk can't or won't do.
Just keep practising and don't get down if things start slowly......

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back