• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

which Teleconverter? (1 Viewer)

This response is in support of your question and I will be interested if you get a useful answer as it will help me.

I see you have done the rounds with this question, unfortunately you have hit upon the reason I moved to Sony as their video cameras were far more amenable to handling lens convertors and had a far greater range of useful accessories in the shops at the time - underwater housings etc. The IR night filming feature was excellent too. I do own a TM700 which is very similar to your camera and is an excellent unit so I am not against Panasonic - just frustrated.

The circa £1000 bracket video cameras seem to have been driven by the marketing department to provide the best images for the family man, which has seen a cut back at the tele end and a gain at the wide end with a bigger front element necessary for 3D as well, which means that my video teleconvertor will not be any use on a Pany.

My Sonys have a menu item to apply corrections for tele and wide angle convertors - Panasonic do not. I havn't the latest Sony so I hope they havn't ditched this useful facility.

I prefer the superb Panasonic images but its lack of flexibility does mean that it gets little use. N.B. The Sony convertor stretches to 1.7x and I use an older HD camera (before they gave up tele length for the wide end which is useful for family snaps)that gives me roughly a 35mm equivalent 0f 880 mm.

I have a cheap Sony SD video camera, bought a few years ago which has a massive 60x optical zoom that gives me a reach that would cost thousands in HD. (40mm - 2,400 mm in optical) Emergency digital zoom 2000x - never tried it! BTW a tripod is vital and yes the quality is definitely not HD (but better than nothing). Picking one of these up cheaply may be a short term answer - beware some SD Pannys - they record in a strange 16:9 format that reverts to a compressed 4:3 image on Windows media player etc. - not pretty.

Best of luck and I am watching your thread(s) with interest.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back