• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2017 (3 Viewers)

Totally "out of the dark"......certainly not on my radar, early hours of the morning, missus and me woken up by a repetitive clear call! I was sure of the group from whence it came, and thought it's almost familiar, presume it was disturbed by a ground predator? This am I xeno canto'd it, and it was fairly conclusive, not just a year...but also a garden tick. No.54 Red-legged Partridge. :eek!:

Totally "out of the dark"......certainly not on my radar, early hours of the morning, missus and me woken up by a repetitive clear call! I was sure of the group from whence it came, and thought it's almost familiar, presume it was disturbed by a ground predator? This am I xeno canto'd it, and it was fairly conclusive, not just a year...but also a garden tick. No.54 Red-legged Partridge. :eek!:

We had one living on the patio in France for a few days a few years back - you can count it, but you just have to assume that it's a befuddled bird from some shooting thing somewhere along the line ... ?!

9th March - spring on the way - Peacock (Butterfly) just now. Sweepstake for first (UK?) sub- Saharan migrant proper.

Swallow/House Martin - Late March??

We had one living on the patio in France for a few days a few years back - you can count it, but you just have to assume that it's a befuddled bird from some shooting thing somewhere along the line ... ?!

Had an "incongruous" bird last Autumn, just c300m away...running into a hedgerow across a newly mown (Epping Forest) open plain area, adjoining pavement and busy road. That constituted only the 2nd bird observed on "open" forest land in 60 years! Of course they do occur on adjacent farmland...perhaps several miles+from site.

Brimstone, Peacock and what looked like a Small Tortoiseshell today...but then with a 16 degree Celsius out of a big blue....it's probably not surprising. :t:

And I thought I was doing well with 14c !

No butterflies for me - but waders return again - this time while I was out enjoying the sunset with a glass of bubbly the distinctive sound of

59 : Oystercatcher

drifted down from the sky.

Thought I heard a snake slithering earlier today

There's no stopping you H!....It would be good to catch you before you vacate your residence, but I think that would be a tall order! Not complaining but!.....I could do with the ''great bird gods in the sky'' giving me a few more ''regulars'', especially a certain Regulus. ;)

Forgot....Happy 35th Birthday H. ;)

Last edited:
I know how you feel Ken, I've a similar situation with several Alpine Accentors hanging about just 750m up our lane, from our place I can even see a bit of the roof of the house some of them were frequenting yesterday. I have had a couple of glimpses of crest sp too but not clinched which species, hopefully I'll see both in the garden during the year, but the Alpine Accentors ?

It's Ironic Richard, that of the three species that I had observed ''outback'' but not from the House/garden, that Tree Creeper and Brambling, with the former being a racing ''no-no''. Should be seen and imaged from my abode, as indeed has Firecrest (outback), and yet the latter (the more frequent)...not a bloody glimpse!...frequent Goldcrests though, almost daily.

Time will tell.....:-C

There's no stopping you H!....It would be good to catch you before you vacate your residence, but I think that would be a tall order! Not complaining but!.....I could do with the ''great bird gods in the sky'' giving me a few more ''regulars'', especially a certain Regulus. ;)

Forgot....Happy 35th Birthday H. ;)

Thanks Ken.

Not a bad day yesterday - let's see what today brings!

18. Black kite .

Brenda, I've only ever had one of those, can't remember the year, but I won't forget the date It was June 10th, and I was staring out the window talking on the blower to another birder, whilst watching a silhouetted oncoming BOP and giving a "flying commentary" I can remember ID-ing it "en-route".....Sprawk - Buzzard - Marsh Harrier, then as it passed low over the house Black K-i-t-e!!! Decidedly uncommon in these parts. :t:

Despite a little snow settling again on the ground, now melting, more incoming spring migrants

36. Redwing. One singing in the forest.
37. Blackbird. One.
38. Greenfinch. Three flying around.

Also, pair of Whooper Swans on flood pools in my meadow - maybe same as a pair that settled on this temporary pool exactly the same time last year. Ground is still frozen, so these pools appear as surface layers each year as meltwater cannot pentrate the ground. Attracts any early waterbirds as all lakes still frozen solid, no big issue to walk on them.

Brenda, I've only ever had one of those, can't remember the year, but I won't forget the date It was June 10th, and I was staring out the window talking on the blower to another birder, whilst watching a silhouetted oncoming BOP and giving a "flying commentary" I can remember ID-ing it "en-route".....Sprawk - Buzzard - Marsh Harrier, then as it passed low over the house Black K-i-t-e!!! Decidedly uncommon in these parts. :t:

Ken , I never even saw one before we came here lived near the sea -East Sussex!

The farmer ploughed the field next to the garden today. This attracted about 400 B/h Gulls and with them a
43 Common Gull. Also added
44 Jackdaw and
45 Pied wagtail

There were about 10 Black kites flying over my house catching termites that had just took flight from a field next to us.

58. Black Kite

Last edited:
Luv garden listing but I'm having a bad run. A Moorhen has been in my neighbours garden under his feeding station for a week. Superb record as we are primarily wooded on the side of a hill with no ponds but I can't see it from my property, apparently I was within a foot of it coming into view for me yesterday but that took hours!
Also up to 40 waxwings are just under a mile away but with a scope I can only get to within 50 yards of the tree they favour unless I climb my Scot's Pine which I am seriously considering. Not to forget the Glauc on a quarry even nearer than that with the departing gulls passing in front of my living room window every evening. Spent a week on that with no joy.
Luv Dave

Whooper Swan still about and good movements of geese these days - skein after skein, all eastbound, Bean and White-fronts. Also a White-tailed Eagle circling and arrivals of finches.

39. Bean Goose
40. White-fronted Goose
41. White-tailed Eagle
42. Linnet
43. Goldfinch
44. Linnet

Forgot one earlier ...

45. Siskin

I was out in the yard and six of the guys flew over, I was able to get a shot of the last two.

59. Great White Pelican

Attachments

• DSC_0614.JPG
    DSC_0614.JPG
    327.1 KB · Views: 152
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back