• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trystan's 2017 year list (1 Viewer)

15/7/17

Just completed a 22.5 hour day trip. Up at 5am and off for the Long billed dowitcher at Boulmer. Got caught in some hiddeous weather and dipped Roseate tern. Had a second weekend of not seeing the Honey buzzards which are "showing well" at Wykeham then things picked up for the evening at Flamborough with all the regular breeding seabirds, a couple of Manxies and a nice close in Great Skua for the year.

Storm petrel was trapped and ringed about 1am.

Boulmer

227. Long billed dowitcher (1st UK)

Flamborough

228. Great skua

(16/7/17)

229. Storm petrel

Now beating my previous best UK year!

19/7/17

After another failed effort at Honey buzzard at the weekend and being given the run around by the Fairburn cattle egret and Swillington Caspian tern yesterday I felt to be on a real losing streak.

I managed to commandeer a vehicle this lunchtime though and although there wasn't time to try for Cattle egret which would be a Yorkshire tick, I got the main target bird, even if only distantly through bins.

Will hopefully get to go back tonight with a scope and finish the job.

Swillington ings

230. Caspian tern

Did manage to get some nice views this evening but still no success with the egret.

Last edited:
23/7/17

Nice to get the Cattle egret out in the open at Fairburn early this morning before heading down to Frampton where all the wader action seems to be.

Frampton

231. Red necked phalarope
232. Pectoral sandpiper
233. Little stint
234. Curlew sandpiper
235. Greenshank

Negative news on the White rumped sandpiper at Spurn dissuaded me from the long drive in that direction so a relatively early finish today.

30/7/17

Only my 4th attempt to see these birds this year. Rewarded with 3 separate views of 1 and 2 birds comprising at least 3 individuals including the wing clapping display which I've never seen before.

Wykeham

236. Honey buzzard

The over all year list is looking good with a personal best for Yorkshire as well, adding Red backed shrike today too.

(Yorkshire 208, UK 236, Switzerland 69, Liechtenstein 22, Total 250)

13/8/17

Peat pits lane

237. Dotterel

Wasn't expecting this to make the year list after the dips in spring!

20/8/17

A crazy attempt to mop up a few decent species in the north of England today meant a lot of driving and ultimately, lack of news on White rumped sandpiper and Black crowned night heron meant that the trip was only semi successful. I think this is the first time I have been to the west and east coast on the same day.

Leighton moss

238. Purple heron (1st UK)

South Shields

239. Roseate tern

North Gare

240. Arctic skua

26/8/17

Loughborough

241. Hoopoe (1st UK)

Thanks to the kind lady who allowed viewing of this bird from her home.

Last edited:
30/8/17

Temporary shift system at work gave me a chance for a twitch today. Elusive but eventually gave some nice views.

Bempton

242. Greenish warbler

03/09/17

Having left the day before my Northumberland trip, it was good to catch up with White rumped sandpiper today in Lincolnshire

Tetney Marsh

243. White rumped sandpiper

Overall year lists now at:

Yorkshire 211, UK 243, World 257

10/09/17

Started the day at Spurn with by second UK Caspian gull, second UK Wryneck and second UK Long billed dowitcher. A drive up the east coast failed to connect with Barred warbler but succeeded with Lapland bunting. In addition, a supporting cast of waders boosted my Yorkshire year list somewhat.

Spurn

244. Caspian gull
245. Wryneck

Long Nab

246. Lapland bunting

Yorkshire 217, UK 246, World 260

17/9/17

Back to Spurn for the second week in a row. Birds were elusive but managed to catch up with 3 good year birds.

248. Barred warbler
249. Yellow browed warbler
250. Arctic warbler

In addition, Arctic skua made the Yorkshire year list.

Year list totals now:

Yorkshire 221, UK 250, World 264

23/09/17

Started the day in Yorkshire and ended in Dorset with a new year tick either end.

Worsbrough reservoir

251. Grey phalarope

Avon Heath

252. Dartford warbler

24/9/17

Continued to improve my year and uk lists in Dorset today with 2 and a half ticks.

Stanpit marsh

253. Lesser yellowlegs (1st UK)

Radipole lake

Hmmm...

254. Hooded merganser - well it's actually a lifer but I don't feel good about it.

Abbotsbury

255. Spotted sandpiper (1st UK)

25/9/17

Leaving Dorset and continuing on to Cornwall today, it seemed that my timing couldn't be worse with the Stilt sandpiper being refound and a rosefinch at Portland out of the question to twitch and the rarities in Cornwall seemingly not lingering.

Shouldn't complain though as another UK tick was added en route.

Labrador bay

256. Cirl bunting (1st UK)

28/09/17

Happened to be only a few minutes away when reports of American golden plover came through with a nice juvenile dotterel.

Sennen, Cornwall

257. American golden plover

3/10/17

After dipping on Sunday, went back this evening for another go.

Ryhope

258. Scops owl (1st UK)

08/10/17

Yet another trip to Spurn today, this time with a few friends from bird forum. The day started well enough with a dodgy ring-necked parakeet in Easington for a Yorkshire tick, followed with the target Rose coloured starling.

Easington

259. Rose coloured starling

Spurn

260. Red breasted flycatcher
261. Slavonian grebe

Some great birds around including another Arctic warbler, but no further year ticks added.

Year list totals:

Yorkshire 226, UK 261, World 275

15/10/17

A long run up to Northumberland today with a lifer and a couple of year ticks available.
A brief morning stop for Hawfinch did not pay off.

Goswick

262. Long tailed skua

Budle bay

263. CACKLING GOOSE

Druridge pools

As well as a lovely red necked phalarope here, also offshore was

264. Velvet scoter

The day finished on a low when arriving at blackhall rocks for a jack snipe which had been showing all day to find it had been flushed.

Last edited:
My original plans for a birding holiday had to be put on the shelf and a smaller trip to Nepal with naturetrek booked at fairly short notice.

3/11/17

A bit of birding in Dubai airport was not overly productive with only 4 species.

1. House sparrow
2. Feral pigeon
3. Red wattled lapwing - bird in scrub from the shuttle bus
4. Collared dove

Evening in Kathmandu, there was not much light but managed a handful of species.

1. Black (eared) kite
2. (Eastern) black redstart
3. House crow
4. Feral pigeon

World 279

Users who are viewing this thread

Back