• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tice's Meadow and Tongham GP, Surrey (5 Viewers)

chaps, 2 great black back gulls 1 yellow leg gull 29 lesser black 50 + BH gulls Pergrine and 4 Goossander 3 m 1f flew over.Reed Bunting meadow pipit and bullfinch 4 green finch 3 siskin.
Had a nice start to the litter pick on friday, i m sure you will notice next one on the 2 nd March meeting at water rail gate at 10 am till 1pm .

Yes, I have a space. But I won't be going if its not seen today (no sign so far), so it could be a moot point.

That would certainly be more convenient for me, as some of the others that have expressed an interest live in awkward places.

We'll see what happens.

Chaps, any luck with the Yellowthroat? I found this species difficult to see in Canada. I've heard it called the 'Hide and Go Seek' Bird in the States and it has been illusive in Wales I believe.

Pretty quiet this morning, saw the Rail briefly in the stream, 4 Siskin, 2 Bullfinch, only 1 Lapwing, 7 Teal in the workings, still some Redwing around, 2 Skylark, highlight was a Peregrine that caused panic amonst the gulls on the meadow.

John.

Good Tices day out to Wales with movie stars to with Sean and Dave bagged Yellowthroat Lesser Scaup great veiws of both dipped on Bonaparts Gull at Cardiff cant have it all sometimes.

Good Tices day out to Wales with movie stars to with Sean and Dave bagged Yellowthroat Lesser Scaup great veiws of both dipped on Bonaparts Gull at Cardiff cant have it all sometimes.

A nice chat with the polite Gary Bagnell and ordered into line by old maverick himself, LGRE?

Rich you have please got to tell us more ok it might have to wait till your back.But you where nt there but you got the vib mate.
Not much to report today 80 + Lapwing starling in the high 50 s more redwing than fieldfare 8 greenfinch and 4 bullfinch 12 pied wagtail.

Rich, had no idea there was a litter pick last Friday, and I was at Tice's too! Do let me know when the next one is and I'll be happy to help if I'm free.

Matt.

I am not worthy.

MORE than 1,000 birdwatchers flocked to a Newport field after a bird, rarely seen this side of the Atlantic, was spotted there.

A dog-walker spotted a common yellowthroat in a hedgerow on Friday morning and, after he posted a picture on the internet, birdwatchers from all over the UK travelled to the farmer’s field off Cwm Cwddy Drive, Rhiwderin.

The bird is indigenous to warmer parts of North America, such as Florida, and there have been ten previous sightings in the UK with this being only the second in Wales.

Gwent Wildlife Trust president Roger James said: “Word got out and there have been thousands of people here from places like Lincolnshire, Lancashire and Teeside. There were 400 people here on Friday alone.”

Birdwatchers formed an arc around the field with binoculars and cameras, primed to get a sight of the bird as it made its way through undergrowth.

Tom Bragg, 34, travelled from Devon and said: “The bird could have got lost when migrating during the winter. It would have been caught by a storm and blown across the Atlantic, a terrifying ordeal and something most do not survive.”

Richard Horton, 65 and Dave Baker, 49, left their Aldershot homes at 5am yesterday to travel to Newport

Mr Horton said: “It’s incredible it’s travelled from America and found its way here.

“It’s very low down in the hedgerow feeding and resting, but it’s caused great excitement.”
[/I]

Last edited:
I am not worthy.

MORE than 1,000 birdwatchers flocked to a Newport field after a bird, rarely seen this side of the Atlantic, was spotted there.

A dog-walker spotted a common yellowthroat in a hedgerow on Friday morning and, after he posted a picture on the internet, birdwatchers from all over the UK travelled to the farmer’s field off Cwm Cwddy Drive, Rhiwderin.

The bird is indigenous to warmer parts of North America, such as Florida, and there have been ten previous sightings in the UK with this being only the second in Wales.

Gwent Wildlife Trust president Roger James said: “Word got out and there have been thousands of people here from places like Lincolnshire, Lancashire and Teeside. There were 400 people here on Friday alone.”

Birdwatchers formed an arc around the field with binoculars and cameras, primed to get a sight of the bird as it made its way through undergrowth.

Tom Bragg, 34, travelled from Devon and said: “The bird could have got lost when migrating during the winter. It would have been caught by a storm and blown across the Atlantic, a terrifying ordeal and something most do not survive.”

Richard Horton, 65 and Dave Baker, 49, left their Aldershot homes at 5am yesterday to travel to Newport

Mr Horton said: “It’s incredible it’s travelled from America and found its way here.

“It’s very low down in the hedgerow feeding and resting, but it’s caused great excitement.”
[/I]
For those in far flung places postal autograph s can be aranged.

This morning there were 2 Rails in the stream together which confirms my suspicion when I first saw the returning bird before Christmas. At the time I had a fleeting view of what I thought to be a second bird, but as time went on without seeing more than 1 bird I dismissed as perhaps a Moorhen.
Also seen - Little Egret along the river, female Stonechat in the reedbed, 4 Bullfinch, 5 Skylark, 3 Meadow Pipit, Kestrel, 3 Stock Dove, & Sparrowhawk. Plenty of water on the meadow so bring on the Spring passage!

John.

Last edited:
Nice to find 2 rail John , I picked up Peregrine 2 shovler 6 teal 2 buzzard 6 sky lark + all the gull you would expect , but not many lapwing .

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back