• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with a DSLR and Maksutov-Cassegrain type scope (1 Viewer)

Another example of using what is usually considered an "astro" scope with a DSLR to take long focal length photos of birds. The Meade ETX-90 is a Maksutov-Cassegrain type scope with a focal lenth of 1250mm at f13.8. Two major advantages: 1. the scope I took this photo with can be had off of ebay almost any day of the week for less than $200 (this is the old RA model, but any ETX or other mak-cass scope will do); 2. this scope design results in pratically zero CA. Of course their are a number of disadvantages that go along with these scopes as well. A lot of people do not like the background patterns that sometimes result from the design of these mirror scopes (as you can see from the attached photo, this isn't always a problem). Anyway...thought I would throw it out there as we have been testing and discussing the use of various scopes and DSLR for bird photography. Getting a lens with this focal length with no CA is worth (in my opinion) some trade-offs. Photo taken at around 60 feet with the ETX-90 at prime focus and a Fuji S2 Pro DSLR.

Rick

Attachments

• bluebirdweb01_filtered.jpg
    bluebirdweb01_filtered.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 1,753
Another example of using what is usually considered an "astro" scope with a DSLR to take long focal length photos of birds. The Meade ETX-90 is a Maksutov-Cassegrain type scope with a focal lenth of 1250mm at f13.8. Two major advantages: 1. the scope I took this photo with can be had off of ebay almost any day of the week for less than $200 (this is the old RA model, but any ETX or other mak-cass scope will do); 2. this scope design results in pratically zero CA. Of course their are a number of disadvantages that go along with these scopes as well. A lot of people do not like the background patterns that sometimes result from the design of these mirror scopes (as you can see from the attached photo, this isn't always a problem). Anyway...thought I would throw it out there as we have been testing and discussing the use of various scopes and DSLR for bird photography. Getting a lens with this focal length with no CA is worth (in my opinion) some trade-offs. Photo taken at around 60 feet with the ETX-90 at prime focus and a Fuji S2 Pro DSLR.

Rick

Pretty impressive. How did you attach the camera?

Rick , your scope is the same design as my 3.5 Questar,, my Q is 1400mm at f16 so it takes a bright day for any photo work,, I do not mind the boketh it provides,,

as for attaching there are special tubes that fit on the back of the scope tube so prime focus can be used,, a camera adapter to fit a T mount is also necessary,, Questar offers them ($$) for most camera attachments,, see photo below,,

I have never tried to do afocal focusing with my Q,,

Derry

Attachments

• DSCN1150 (800 x 600).jpg
    DSCN1150 (800 x 600).jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 1,128
Last edited:
Pretty impressive. How did you attach the camera?

As Derry illustrated, it is with a camera adapter (rear photo port) and a t-mount. Meade makes a camera adapter for the ETX series. I think I bought mine from opticsplanet.com.

Derry is also correct in advising that it does take a nice, sunny day to get enough light for good photos. The images usually need a bit of contrast added in post processing.

Rick

A Celestron C5 with its native 1250mm focal length also makes for a fine lens and the larger F10 aperture allows nice images in low light.

cheers,
Rick

The bad bokeh usually shows on a lighter background or when you can see through the trees to the sky beyond or if there's a bird on water, all the sparkly highlights look like little doughnut rings.

Some examples below of bad bokeh from mirrors. If you can live with the bokeh then the short size is a bonus but the big 5" scopes would be the only viable ones.

Maybe everyone with a mirror scope should do tests in worst case scenarios and post examples so people know what to expect.

Paul.

Attachments

• bokeh.jpg
    bokeh.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 1,029
  • bokeh2.jpg
    bokeh2.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 904
A Celestron C5 with its native 1250mm focal length also makes for a fine lens and the larger F10 aperture allows nice images in low light.

cheers,
Rick

Thanks for that information, Rick. I have browsed around at some of the photos posted with different mirror scopes, but for some reason I never noticed before the larger aperture of the C5. That would certainly be an advantage. I'm going to do some more experimenting with the ETX. I've sometimes been surprised and had pretty good results with shutter speeds as low as 1/60 sec, even on birds.

Rick Phillips

I remember that many years back, there were mirror telephoto lenses made for SLRs. They had a poor reputation because high f numbers, poor constrast and definition. They were a poor man's telephoto lens, with the lowest cost per mm.

Maybe these are better, it's worth a try.

there are still some around, Questar made one that I see occasionally on Astromart,, still very expensive,,

Rubina (spelling) was a Russian one and I believe Tokina and a few other Mfgs did them,, was certainly a hit and miss on many as most were not very good on optical quality,, accurate color also suffered on many,, fixed f stop and needed a good bright day,,

have seen some good and many bad photos taken with them,,

Derry

digiscoping with etx 125

Hi
I have JUST started on digiscoping with a Meade etx125 scope attached to a Nikon D100 thru a T-64 Meade adapter. I like to share some pictures at
http://gardenvisitors.multiply.com/
My problem is focusing, can't see too well but I am waiting for the arrival of a magnifying eyepiece and hopefully I can get better pictures.
:t:

Hi
I have JUST started on digiscoping with a Meade etx125 scope attached to a Nikon D100 thru a T-64 Meade adapter. I like to share some pictures at
http://gardenvisitors.multiply.com/
My problem is focusing, can't see too well but I am waiting for the arrival of a magnifying eyepiece and hopefully I can get better pictures.
:t:

Welcome to the club of those that find focus difficult :smoke:practice makes perfect - at least for me. Well, not perfect but at least better... I have not achieved perfection, but the more I do it, the better it gets.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back