• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (11 Viewers)

an excellent morning - we shall be back for the next one all being well - great to see so many people there :)

Yes a special thanks to the 6 newbies today, yourself Mike , your son, Scott, rory, Bob green and of course Tracy's mrs SUE :t::t:
Hope we didn't work you too hard.B :)John

Last edited:
At the Moors tonight at least 4 water rail (2 east and 2 west side calling)
4 Little grebe, 9 pochard (+ 6 sailing pool), and a 1st winter gull this morning.
2 wigeon, 1 gadwall and 13 shoveler.
B :)John

A Winter Gull would certainly be a first for the reserve!

Here are a few shots from yesterday's incredibly enjoyable and productive work party. Thanks to everyone for their efforts and superb company.
The Hide as we used to know it.
Graham La B's channel project and the beginning of the construction of Upton Warren's answer to the Great Wall of China around the glassy knoll (did you see what I did there?).
The Wickerman in a spot of bother.
Clearing work around the base of the hide.

The hide is dead... long live the hide!

Attachments

• Hide0.jpg
    Hide0.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 78
  • Channel.jpg
    Channel.jpg
    368.1 KB · Views: 73
  • Wicker.jpg
    Wicker.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 84
  • Hide.jpg
    Hide.jpg
    387.3 KB · Views: 82
Managed to do a spot of birding before the work party. I'll attach a couple of the images I managed to get.

A pair of Curlew take off backlit by the rising sun and later on a Meadow Pipit landed obligingly close in the hedge behind the hide.

Attachments

• Curlew.jpg
    Curlew.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 61
  • Meadow Pipit.jpg
    Meadow Pipit.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 82
Here are a few shots from yesterday's incredibly enjoyable and productive work party. Thanks to everyone for their efforts and superb company.
The Hide as we used to know it.
Graham La B's channel project and the beginning of the construction of Upton Warren's answer to the Great Wall of China around the glassy knoll (did you see what I did there?).
The Wickerman in a spot of bother.
Clearing work around the base of the hide.

Sy
captures the whole day mate:t:
I hope the trust appreciate all the work done. No excuses for a delay on the new hide construction, we have saved them a day's work with all the 'clearance' especially the bramble and blackthorn cutting.

Just in case anybody is not aware, the main Flashes hide is being demolished today. The new build is scheduled to begin on Wednesday 9th Nov. I will try and get information on the progress from Andy Harris at the Trust and keep you updated. Was estimated to to take 1 week or so ..fingers crossed.

Just hope the new hide lives longer than the last one!

Many thanks yesterday to (here's hoping I havent left anyone out ..):
wheatearlrp, Sy V, upstarts, gertatron, woodchat, gavo and partner, binus and partner, the hairy birder, oriole boy, hagar, Bob G, Phil Q, Graham LaB, Paul A, beyonder, Andy W, wickerman and son, Tony H, Rory, Scott, Biking Birder, Mike Y and uw82.

Just hope the new hide lives longer than the last one!

Many thanks yesterday to (here's hoping I havent left anyone out ..):
wheatearlrp, Sy V, upstarts, gertatron, woodchat, gavo and partner, binus and partner, the hairy birder, oriole boy, hagar, Bob G, Phil Q, Graham LaB, Paul A, beyonder, Andy W, wickerman and son, Tony H, Rory, Scott, Biking Birder, Mike Y and uw82.

and you of course Upton-till-I-die :t:

Got round to re sizing a few photos from yesterday and they should now be attached showing;

The Merry Band of Volunteers
Extreme Digging
..and an old Reed Warbler's nest

They are from my phone so not top notch quality..

Cheers

Gert:t:

Attachments

• Group.jpg
    Group.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 98
  • Diggers.jpg
    Diggers.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 80
  • Nest.jpg
    Nest.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 64
John

When are you doing the Window/Bench consultation with the contractors, mate?
I haven't heard anything yet Sy, I would like to think a couple of days or so after they start ie when the 'shell' has been built.
I think I am going to measure up the Moors east hide interior, which I am assuming they (the builders) would have already done, after Tuesday's work party.

Got round to re sizing a few photos from yesterday and they should now be attached showing;

The Merry Band of Volunteers
Extreme Digging
..and an old Reed Warbler's nest

They are from my phone so not top notch quality..

Cheers

Gert:t:

Finishes the day off nicely, Gert

The hide demolition has been put back, to this Thursday 10th November.:-C

How long before you submit the "I'm only joking, it went very well today" post? :C:C

Given that we clocked off about 2:30 we could have completed it ourselves y'day afternoon!

Last edited:
John

When are you doing the Window/Bench consultation with the contractors, mate?

The size / shape / height of the windows is governed by the planning consent; the only thing we can influence about them is the opening / locking mechanism, type of glass etc.

Hi Guys,
When we replaced the old Gazebo hide at Belvide several years ago, we just poured petrol on it and chucked a match in. WHOOOOOSH!!! Saved a lot of fannying around, and was good entertainment.:t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back