• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Suffolk June 2013 (1 Viewer)

Blandford Birder

I know that a week in Suffolk may not compare with more exotic Trip Reports, but here's an account of our - me Brian and my wife Ann - holiday in Suffolk. From Wiltshire, we're both retired, and I'd describe us as keen all-round, lifelong birders, not in the Premier League of Birding by any means, but to continue the football analogy, more Championship, Ann in the play-offs and me more mid-division.

We stayed at Warren Lodges along the lane between Theberton and Eastbridge, Google Minsmere Holidays if you think you might be interested, which is very handy for both RSPB Minsmere and the Eels Foot Pub. Timber lodges may not be everyone's cup of tea, but ours was fine and in a very peaceful location. Bear in mind that there was no wi-fi connection and we didn't phone any of the Information Services so all the birds we saw were either self-found or from information gleaned at Minsmere or from fellow birders. The weather was dry and mostly sunny, but with a keen northerly or north-easterly wind.

Also take into account when reading this the week was a HOLIDAY, not wall to wall birding. I'll post the account in bite sized chunks.

DAY 1 - Saturday 1st June

We arrived in Suffolk at mid-day, and as we coiuldn't get into the lodge until 4 p.m. we went straight to suss out RSPB Minsmere. We were soon into all the Minsmere residents such as Cettis, and Reed and Sedge Warblers, Bearded Tits, Avocets of course, Hobbys, and good numbers of Kittiwakes on The Scrape. As we were walking back across the car park we heard, then saw two Mediterranean Gulls flying over.

After Minsmere we went over to Saxmundham for provisions and then settled in to the lodge. After an evening meal we walked down to the bridge at Eastbridge and were treated to a Barn Owl flying alongside the road.

Species total after Day 1 - 69

DAY 2 - Sunday 2nd June

We woke very early this morning to sun streaming in through the Bedroom window and the sound of a "purring" Turtle Dove, which as it happened, was to serenade us all week. After yesterdays drive, and assuming Minsmere would be heaving, we sat in the sunshine and logged the birds at Warren Lodges for the morning. We recorded 34 species without any effort, which included Mistle Thrush, Kestrel, a skein of five Greylag Geese, Greater-spotted Woodpecker, a Marsh Harrier, a Hobby, Jay and an ever present Cuckoo. We also recorded 5 species of Butterfly, and a Grass Snake.

After lunch we walked the lanes to the new Island Mere hide at Minsmere, our first impression of the new hide wasn't favourable, we much prefer the older style hides, but as the week went on, it grew on us. The hide was busy, but we eventually bagged some seats and in a couple of hours we'd seen a Great-white Egret, Bearded Tits, had long flight views of a Bittern, and heard Cettis Warblers and a Water Rail.

At dusk, back at Warren Lodges a Barn Owl was sitting on a branch of a dead tree.

Species total after Day 2 - 80

To be continued .......

DAY 3 - Monday 3rd June

We woke to the sound of a Cuckoo early this morning, the Turtle Dove was a little late, or was it early and we were late? After Mistle Thrush, Green and Greater-spotted Woodpecker and Marsh Harrier at Warren Lodges, we headed off for a look around Southwold.

After Southwold and lunch we went again to Minsmere, where our walk took in the four compass point hides plus a walk along the dunes beyond The Sluice. We saw most of the weekend birds again, plus a Sandwich Tern over South Scrape, Knot an immature Little Gull, a Wheatear in the dunes and five Spoonbills in what I think is South Scrape, the one between The Sluice and Sizewell.

Late in the afternoon we popped up to Dunwich Heath where on a short walk across the heath we had good views of Dartford Warblers and Woodlarks. Meanwhile in the evening back at Warren Lodges we heard a Bittern booming at Minsmere.

Species total after Day 3 - 93

DAY 4 - Tuesday 4th June

Cuckoo and Turtle Dove again early this morning along with the likes of Mistle Thrush, a Grey Heron over, Red-legged Partridge, singing Blackcap and a Sparrowhawk.

This morning we went to Sutton Hoo, which is well worth a look, but as important and interesting as it is historically, there are woodland walks, so we did. Three singing Nightingales were excellent, plus there were other more common woodland birds.

Later in the afternoon, yet again we went to Minsmere where we walked to Island Mere hide. We intended to go to Bittern hide, but it was jam packed, so after looking unsuccessfully for a reported Red-backed Shrike, we continued on to Island Mere. Nuthatch and Coal Tit in the woodland were new for the holiday, but there was nothing new at Island Mere, but you can never tire of seeing Marsh Harriers, Bittern and Hobby, while hearing Cettis Warblers.

A singing Yellowhammer alongside the road between Westleton and Middleton brought up the hundred species for the holiday.

Species total after Day 4 - 100

DAY 5 - Wednesday 5th June

We were up and about early this morning, and as has become usual a Cuckoo and Turtle Dove were not far away. We were on Dunwich Heath before 9 a.m. and went for quite a long walk around the Reserve where we had excellent views of Dartford Warblers, and were treated to a song flight from a Woodlark. Other birds of the walk included Whitethroat, Willow Warbler, Reed Bunting and a booming Bittern from Minsmere.

It was back to Saxmundham for provisions where we saw a Marsh Harrier and a Red Kite between the town and Leiston on the way back to Warren Lodges for lunch.

After lunch it was back to Minsmere again to walk the clockwise circuit of the Reserve. We had poor views of a Stone Curlew through the heat haze, and a Ringed Plover and a pair of Wigeon on the Scrape were new birds for the week. Not new, but of note were five Spoonbills on The Levels and three Little Gulls on South Scrape.

Back at Warren Lodges in the evening a Hobby flew over.

Species total after Day 5 - 104

DAY 6 - Thursday 6th June

Not much birding from Warren Lodges this morning before we drove down to Thorpness for a walk around the RSPB North Warren Reserve. A Nightingale was singing from the woodland along the Aldeburgh road as we walked along the seaward side of the road towards the eastern entrance to the Reserve. We saw no new birds for the week during the walk, but there was plenty of interest with Whitethroat, Sedge Warbler, Reed Bunting, Garden Warbler, Cuckoo, Marsh Harrier and Hobby all noted. I say that there was nothing new, but there were two Egyptian Geese on The Mere at Thorpness, which we added to the list anyway.

Later in the afternoon we popped in to Minsmere and walked out to Island Mere, where a Little Gull went unnoticed by everyone else in the hide.

Species Total after Day 6 - 105

DAY 7 - Friday 7th June

A Cuckoo was calling this morning at Warren Lodges, but we didn't hear the Turtle Dove.

We drove over to Walberswick this morning for a walk through the reedbed, Sedge, Reed and Cettis Warblers were all heard singing from the reeds, a Bittern gave good flight views and a Marsh Harrier was ever present quartering the reedbed.

After lunch we went yet again to Minsmere, where we added nothing to the species total, but on a clockwise walk around the scrapes we saw or heard all the regulars including a Little Gull again.

Species Total after Day 7 - Still 105

LAST DAY - Saturday 8th June

A Cuckoo was again calling early this morning, but we had to be packed and gone from Warren Lodges by 9.30, and by then were on our way to Minsmere.

In the car park at Minsmere we met Richard Drew from Suffolk Birdwatching Breaks (Google it) with a group of his visitors. We stayed with Richard and his wife Mary a couple of times a few years back, and what with Richard's birding skills and Mary's cooking, a great time was had by all.

We did one last clockwise circuit of Minsmere this morning and added a pair of Garganey, Dunlin and Little Tern to the species list. We left Minsmere at lunch time to drive up to RSPB Lakenheath Fen, but between Minsmere and Westleton we heard the rattle of a Lesser Whitethroat, a new species for the week.

Swifts and Marsh Harriers were the feature of Lakenheath, dozens of Swifts especially were flying at reed top height. We also saw Hobby and Bearded Tit, but saw or heard neither Golden Oriole or the Cranes. We heard, then saw a Grasshopper Warbler, a Bittern was booming, and finally we saw a Kingfisher perched in the reeds.

Final species total for the week in Suffolk - 111

AND FINALLY ......

I do have a Blog, and I have posted some pictures there to compliment this trip report, you can find it here.

http://www.freewebs.com/notjustbirding-photographs/

Here are a few observations made during the week.

I don't understand why people pay £7.50 (for adults) each to walk around Minsmere and carry no optics, what do they see? To me it's like playing a round of Golf and carrying no clubs, I don't get it, but I'm sure the RSPB is delighted.

Why do people who know not a lot insist on imparting their mis-identifications on everyone else, no madam it wasn't a Reed Warbler it was a Wren.

A person with a pair of top of the range Swarovskis around her neck, asked us what the bird was which had just flown past. It was a Little Egret; we thought they may have got her priorities wrong somewhere.

We also thought the person in a fluorescent yellow jacket was being a tad optimistic in trying to find birds, I don't mind you wearing the jacket, but don't stand near me.

We thought that 111 species in a week which wasn't wall to wall birding wasn't bad, and I don't think we missed much anyway.

Thank you Suffolk, we will be back.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back