• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nethybridge Vacation June 2013 (1 Viewer)

ClarkWGriswold

Carpe Carpum
Supporter
Wales
Day One

Up at 3 and on the road by 4. Not too bad with two little ones to get ready. Again, primarily this is a family holiday but I'll be carrying my bins with me wherever we go. I've also got the SX50 with me and thanks to Eanna a MM1:t: I've also got a copy of Gordon's book with me and a few hints and tips from a fellow BFer - cheers IanB :)

1/2 a mile down the lane produced the first mammal - fox. A Roe Deer was in the garden when I went to fetch the curry but I did manage a more distant one on the way to Aviemore along with a few Rabbits.

I'll post a few (poor) photos when I get home as I've only got my iPad with me.

Highlights of the trip up were a 458, 928, Sagaris and a couple of beautiful old Morgans.

I'll list the birds seen as it makes it easier for myself to compare trip reports.

1. Carrion Crow
2. Jackdaw
3. Rook
4. Wood Pigeon
5. Stock Dove
6. Collared Dove
7. Blackbird
8. Robin
9. Swift
10. Swallow
11. House Martin
12. Sand Martin
13. Blue Tit
14. Chaffinch
15. Lapwing
16. Oystercatcher
17. Curlew
18. Heron
19. Common Sandpiper
20. Goldeneye
21. Mallard
22. Mute Swan
23. Tufted Duck
24. Common Buzzard
25 Kestrel (several of these alongside M6 which was nice)
26. Herring Gull
27. Black Headed Gull
28. Mute Swan
29. Pheasant
30. Red Grouse
31. Red Legged Partridge.
32. House Sparrow
33. Pied Wagtail

Tiredness is now kicking in not aided by chilli garlic chicken and a bottle of Black Gold from the Cairngorm brewery.

Rich

PS forgot to mention that we stocked up at Mustards Butchers in Nethybridge when we arrived. The Haggis, sausages and bacon are superb:eat:

Last edited:
Day Two

Up fairly early to take advantage of having a couple of hours to myself. Took the back road out of Nethybridge that links with the road to Tomintoul. In the past this has produced Black Grouse but not today. Plenty of Curlew, Lapwings, yesterday's Red Grouse and RLP. Added the following:

34. Green Woodpecker scrap this one. Saw fly up from side of car. Right size and thought I saw some green and put it down as a juvenile. If it had been in Wales I'd be more confident
35. Starling
36. Meadow Pipit

From here over to a different area. Dipped on the target species but spent a fantastic hour savouring the peacefulness of the forest at this time of the morning. Every sound seeming amplified by the quietness.

Added another mammal here - Brown Hare

From here it was off to another area. Must admit I was missing another pair of eyes in the front of the car. It's difficult scanning side to side whilst watching for cars in front and behind.

37. Black Throated Diver
38. Common Gull
39. Mistle Thrush
40. Goldfinch
41. Great Tit
42. Dunnock

Picked up another Kestrel returning home and another female Goldeneye on Loch Garten. Also added another mammal species at Loch Garten - Red Squirrel.

This afternoon we've booked Sunday lunch for my father as a surprise on the Strathspey Steam railway which hopefully will be nice.

And on that note - have a great Fathers Day all:t:B :)

Rich

Last edited:
Who to Marcus? It'll be no problem. It was at the entrance to The Lazy Duck. I'll put this down as a mistake Marcus. I actually thought in the brief view I had that was a juvenile. This would be less likely??

Rich

Last edited:
Who to Marcus? It'll be no problem. It was at the entrance to The Lazy Duck. I'll put this down as a mistake Marcus. I actually thought in the brief view I had that was a juvenile. This would be less likely??

Rich

They are recorded here so it may be of interest to the locals :t:

Pete Gordon
2 Craigmore Crescent,
Nethy Bridge
Highland
PH25 3RA

gordon890'at'btinternet.com

Its easy for me as Marion watches the road non-stop and lets me know in a big way if there's anything happening :-O

John

Sarah does exactly the same for me John:t: This morning the problem was that she refused to get up at 4:30 after driving up from Wales yesterday.;)

These dam Grouse are just so hard to pick out round here. Plus you have to avoid suicidal bunnies and pheasants.

Rich

Hi Marcus. I PM'd a forum member whom I knew from his posts was from Nethybridge. I mentioned I thought it was a juvenile. There are zero, zilch, nada records of Green Woodpeckers breeding in the area. I'll hang my head in shame and say three Hail Maryso:D

I'll put it down as a "tourist woodpecker". AKA bloody green tinged Mistle Thrush:-C

Rich

For those visiting with family we went on the Strathspey Steam Railway today. The boys enjoyed it, we did and so did my parents. If you have your dog with you on holiday they also allow those on the train.

Rich

Cheers D. I didn't quite have the full cooked breakfast knowing we were having lunch out. Stroll on tomorrow morning;)

43. Willow Warbler
44. Greylag Geese
45. Song Thrush.

Just heard a Red Squirrel making an amazing sound (at least it was coming from the tree the squirrel was in). Sounded like a 40's/50's radio being tuned in. :smoke:

Great report so far Rich.Even more so,as you are having a "Family Holiday" ;)
Good Luck with the remainder of your time there. B :) Cairngorm Brewery.

This is turning into a bit of a struggle. Went up to the Findhorn this afternoon. On a arrival a couple of birders had seen a Goldie half an hour earlier - typical:eek!:

Scanned the slopes for Rouzels but nothing. Went for a wander up the valley scanning the slopes as I went but again, nothing. Then the rain came. By the time I got back to the camper it had stopped and we had at least an hour of glorious sunshine. Ideal conditions. Again, nothing. Had a decent chat with a very knowledgable birder from Suffolk whilst scanning but all we could come up with was a rock that through bins was the spit of a Peregrine. Only when scoped did it emerge it was not what it appeared.

Forgot to mention that we did catch up with the same pair of BTD's and the pies and cakes from the bakery in Grantown were excellent. Thanks for the tip Ian:t:

46. Skylark
47. Wheatear (ppv) Tripping over these back in Wales but these were the first I'd seen of the trip.
48. Great Spotted Woodpecker.

Rich

This is turning into a bit of a struggle. Went up to the Findhorn this afternoon. On a arrival a couple of birders had seen a Goldie half an hour earlier - typical:eek!:

Scanned the slopes for Rouzels but nothing. Went for a wander up the valley scanning the slopes as I went but again, nothing. Then the rain came. By the time I got back to the camper it had stopped and we had at least an hour of glorious sunshine. Ideal conditions. Again, nothing. Had a decent chat with a very knowledgable birder from Suffolk whilst scanning but all we could come up with was a rock that through bins was the spit of a Peregrine. Only when scoped did it emerge it was not what it appeared.

Forgot to mention that we did catch up with the same pair of BTD's and the pies and cakes from the bakery in Grantown were excellent. Thanks for the tip Ian:t:

46. Skylark
47. Wheatear (ppv) Tripping over these back in Wales but these were the first I'd seen of the trip.
48. Great Spotted Woodpecker.

Rich

Surprised you didn't get Redstart and Tree Pipit. They were all over the place on Sunday. Redstart feeding quite often on the road itself.

The most reliable Ring Ouzel at the minute is on the ski fences at Cairngorm behind the ski centre at the top car park. Sometimes he perches on the lines.

Surprised you didn't get Redstart and Tree Pipit. They were all over the place on Sunday. Redstart feeding quite often on the road itself.

The most reliable Ring Ouzel at the minute is on the ski fences at Cairngorm behind the ski centre at the top car park. Sometimes he perches on the lines.
Hi Marcus. Didn't get a sniff of a redstart and didn't hear any tree pipits. TBH driving up the valley and back I really had to concentrate on the road as I was driving my old man's new camper. He wouldn't forgive me if damaged his pride and joy:-O

We're off upto Cairngorm tomorrow so I'll check the fences. Thanks for the tip. The birder I was talking to from Suffolk had 4 there yesterday I think he said it was. No Ptarmigan though.

Rich

Hi Marcus. Didn't get a sniff of a redstart and didn't hear any tree pipits. TBH driving up the valley and back I really had to concentrate on the road as I was driving my old man's new camper. He wouldn't forgive me if damaged his pride and joy:-O

We're off upto Cairngorm tomorrow so I'll check the fences. Thanks for the tip. The birder I was talking to from Suffolk had 4 there yesterday I think he said it was. No Ptarmigan though.

Rich

Hi Rich,

I always walk for my Ptarmigan so no idea if you can get them near the Car Park.

Seem to be plenty of Ring O's this year if the usual spots.

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back