• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unusual bird visiting my garden - what is it??? (1 Viewer)

That is your choice, doesn't give you the right to infringe the copyright of other persons.

And as for "The issue of copyright images on the net is, to my mind, a little like speeding on a motorway", rather revealing.

You frequently take people to task for various issues that you feel are of importance, but when tackled on an issue that is actually illegal, you basically take the attitute that you consider it nothing amiss.

I accept what you say about infringing copyright.
I am happy to be criticised for taking a differential view on legal, ethical and moral issues. I assume your comment means that you view all infractions of the law as equally serious.
I merely made the point that being slightly over the speed limit on an open road, whilst being illegal, isn't as damaging as more extreme examples of law-breaking.
The two issues which seem to have brought me a modicum of notoriety on here (feather removal by an unlicenced individual and people abusing positions of privilege) are not as serious as some crimes in our world but are, I maintain, worse than others.

Peter

I am happy to be criticised for taking a differential view on legal, ethical and moral issues. I assume your comment means that you view all infractions of the law as equally serious.

I have no issue with you taking whatever view you wish to take.

You take the effort to post entire threads about actions you consider serious, even writing to organisations to push the point. You may well be justified to take this line of thought.

However, when questioned about an activity that you are involved in, a legal issue that could have the potential to even create issues for the owner of the forum, you respond with comments that you do not view it as serious and adding "I'm not sure if I should apologise or be startled by the degree of heat in your response."

Do you not recognise the degree of heat? No mirrors in your house? ;)

Last edited:
As apparently people are now debating if providing a link to a news story is breach of copyright (I kid you not...), I wonder how much longer a link to a photo would be acceptable. Anyway, you can always contact the moderators who will probably deal with copyright issues carefully.
I admit that I have broken copyright by attaching maps to aid people in search of birds and will likely do so again. But I wouldn't attach a picture (article, bird sound) unless it was mine... we all set our own double standards.

As Ken said? Tchaikovsky? Back to the original subject?
Where is the OP and photos? Bit of a "wind-up" in my estimation?
Some "psychologist":-O doing "some research" and havin a laff at your expenses is perhaps a good explan.:cat:

Or the lack of OP response might provide a heavy clue?;)

The op has been slagged off, accused of hoaxing, had her thread kidnapped for a discussion about copyright legalities, etc.. its hardly suprising she's keeping a low profile. Maybe she has a busy life and doesn't wait for hours/days/weeks hoping the subject bird comes back so she can post its picture, especially if she feels that she is not been taken seriously. Where is the "we welcome anyone with a genuine inquiry" attitude that makes BF stand out as the number 1 birding site?
Innocent until proven guilty imho

The op has been slagged off, accused of hoaxing, had her thread kidnapped for a discussion about copyright legalities, etc.. its hardly suprising she's keeping a low profile. Maybe she has a busy life and doesn't wait for hours/days/weeks hoping the subject bird comes back so she can post its picture, especially if she feels that she is not been taken seriously. Where is the "we welcome anyone with a genuine inquiry" attitude that makes BF stand out as the number 1 birding site?

Absolutely.
And, as one who has fanned too many fires on this thread, I'd like to apologise to extrareach for being one of those responsible for losing a bit of perspective.
I've pm'd her, asking her to put us all out of our misery with a photo.

Please.

Pretty please.

Peter:flowers:

That's very suite of you Peter ;)

..and I really hope that Extrareach manages to produce even a very bad photo - something about this sighting that makes me think that it really could be one?

Last edited:
Folks, I have viewed this thread as it has unfolded with both interest and concern in the way that it has deviated from the OP.

Should the bird in question have been a Nutcracker I suspect that it has gone a long long time ago.

My suggestion is to close the thread as there is no likelihood of a successfull conclusion.

John.

How near to the mark is that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blooming heck, what a load of drivel I have learnt lately!
Yes the bird is still about it has snowed today so not this morning.
At least 10 different people have seen it now so not imaginary.
I am still trying to get a photo it is the otherside of the garden and my mobile will not pick it up from the house.
Thank you to those who posted photos (theirs or nicked off the internet) it has helped eliminate many birds and imho i am sure as long as no one claimed them the owners really wouldn't mind that much for this type of thing, surely that is sort of what they are for. If I trawl google i can find them? no? You should never assume anything if this post has taught you all nothing perhaps you will remember manners maketh man, and if you cant say anything nice say nothing at all!

When I get a photo and I will. I will post.

PS I am still female and have NEVER lived anywhere other than Suffolk for those who still doubt.

How near to the mark is that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blooming heck, what a load of drivel I have learnt lately!
Yes the bird is still about it has snowed today so not this morning.
At least 10 different people have seen it now so not imaginary.
I am still trying to get a photo it is the otherside of the garden and my mobile will not pick it up from the house.
Thank you to those who posted photos (theirs or nicked off the internet) it has helped eliminate many birds and imho i am sure as long as no one claimed them the owners really wouldn't mind that much for this type of thing, surely that is sort of what they are for. If I trawl google i can find them? no? You should never assume anything if this post has taught you all nothing perhaps you will remember manners maketh man, and if you cant say anything nice say nothing at all!

When I get a photo and I will. I will post.

PS I am still female and have NEVER lived anywhere other than Suffolk for those who still doubt.

Thanks for coming back onto the forum Extrareach; did any of the other observers of this bird venture an opinion as to its identity?

Nah, dont do north of Peterborough! no offence but its too cold up there! LOL. Nor do i do west of cambridge or south of london! bit of a country bumpkin!

Definitely a girl last time i looked.

One of the few times I ventured north of the Thames - was for a Nutcracker (years ago, and yes, I do have a photo)!
(that was somewhere in East Anglia),

I don't do cold either... and certainly not London.

Bumpkins rule OK :t:

Seriously: if it is a Nutcracker. they can be very tame indeed - and can be approached, or will approach to literally within a few feet of an observer. So there is always a chance, even with a phone camera or the like.

Am slightly surprised no one has asked about the other sightings that Extrareach has had of the bird. Everyone is only questioning the first sighting (and its validity), and not the fact that she has now seen it on various occasions - presumably therefore at different times of day, doing different behavioural things.

Extrareach - have you seen it fly, land or take off (any comments on how it does so)? Any comments on how it moves about? If there are any birds it feeds with? Have you observed it feeding, and if so, what and where? Any more plumage updates?

Also, agree with Keith's post: worth going out into the garden to see how close you can get. You're unlikely to scare it completely away. Also, see if bread/apple might tempt the bird closer.

Last edited:
Afternoon all,

I have a new bird that visits my garden every day, No one can identify it. I live surrounded by arable fields in suffolk. The old boys and farmers from the village have seen it about the place this year they have never seen it before either and have no idea what it is. It arrived about two weeks ago.
Thanks all.:t:

Hi,
I asked before to see how long it had been in the area. You mention old boys and farmer had seen it about the place this year so could you say how long it's been around the village?

Hopefully you'll get a photo of it soon,
Gi

I'm pleased that Extrareach has replied further on this one. The trouble with being a birder is that we all have to put up with a certain amount of ridicule and we get defensive. Who of us, while looking through a scope by a busy road has not been "parped" by passing cars or otherwise jeered at? And we have all read obvious wind-ups on this forum. The fact is that many see us in the same light as the stereopytical butterfly enthusiast, chasing around with a net. Extrareach's latest reply sounds genuine to me and I am happy to give her the benefit of the doubt.

That said, nothing I have read here suggests Nutcracker to me. Non birders sometimes notice things that we take for granted. Just two days ago I, my wife and one of her friends were idly looking at the birds in our garden and my wife's friend asked about the bird on the bird table. I explained that it was a female Blackbird. The friend queried this: "But it has a white throat." In fact the throat was far from what we would call white - the ground colour was just noticeably very pale in that area. Thus what we would dismiss as a fairly standard Blackbird was (entirely understandably) seen as something markedly different by the non-birder. With non-birders and inexperienced ones we surely have to be open minded about their descriptions and be prepared to do some lateral thinking.

I originally suggested a partially albinistic Blackbird, but I'm now wondering what are the chances of it being an aberrant Jackdaw. After all, they can vary a lot, and, like all crows, they can be albinistic. But without a photograph we can only clutch at straws.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back