• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Mystery grey shrike on the isle of Man" (2 Viewers)

Just an attempt from an ignorant aussie, but how about
L. exubitor elegans from Nthn Africa? Pale grey, lots of white in wing and tail (at least according to Mullarney et.al)

Or... maybe not.

CJW, I have had another look at Peteee's rear shot of the shrike and I am not sure I can see your point!
There appears to be some pale edging to some of the tertials but I would expect this to be more extensive in 'pallidirostris' showing pale edges to all the tertials giving a contrasting black and white appearence.

It is difficult to identify such a difficult bird from images alone, I would not like to attempt identification directly on this one!

Regards
Tristan

All, thanks for your comments.
I have, this morning, received two Emails (to go with the dozens sent during the week) from two very eminent birders regarding this bird. It appears that I was right all along (according to these people) and that the bird is indeed a Southern Grey Shrike (of the race pallidirostris, also called Steppe Grey Shrike).
You have no idea how pleased Iam!
A new bird for me AND the Isle of Man.

Yes, nice bird and good perseverance to nail the ID.

Of course you do realise that now people from the mainland are going to twitch it -advertising flights on birdguides at this very minute, £99 only-and this in turn will lead to the 'escaped from a Russian fishermans cage (where they feed it on baby Black Larks) theory'.

Excellent Nick-on, touche! And what makes it even funnier is that they won't be able to put it on their British Lists!!!!

Talking of visiting birders...
If anyone does have the pleasure of twitching this bird can we ask you to be mindful that the area is an ASSI containing several rare plant/insect/reptile species not to mention several species of ground nesting birds.
As such the land owners (IOM Government Dept of Agriculture, Fisheries & Forestry) would appreciate people keeping to the main tracks/footpaths and not walking over the heath.
This will not cause a problem as far as viewing the bird is concerned as its favoured perch is on top of the Gorse bushes to the right of the track c.100m before the visitor centre.
The sight is unlikely to be manned by wardens but if the request is seen to be ignored then access restrictions may be put in place.
Good Luck!

Hi CJW,
"Excellent Nick-on, touche! And what makes it even funnier is that they won't be able to put it on their British Lists!!!!"
Oh WON'T they?Why then did so many British twitchers come over for the White-crowned Sparrow,then?;-)
Who were the two birders?(leave me know by PRIVATE MESSAGE if you want)
Have NO experience of the grey shrikes,so didn't comment myself:know that meridionalis can show dark lores in summer,but would have thought that some pink would be visible on the bill.
Now,if anyone wants a Woodchat Shrike assigned to race...;-)
Harry H

Isle of man is part of the British Isles
that is it.
not Great Britain nor United kingdom and definately not EUROPE!

CJW,
Congratulations on an excellent find. I expect that you are still smiling. What a gorgeous bird and I suppose it is like breaking a world record with a FIRST, no one can ever take that away from you. Cracking.

Colin

I think that the finder of the bird has been misinterpreted chaps...
It was a memebr of the local birdwatching society who found the bird and identified it as a Great Grey Shrike. He then rang a local bird charity (Manx Bird Atlas) who then informed the 'serious' birding fraternity after confirming the bird as being a 'Great Grey'...
There then followed the research by several people (myself and CJW included) before confident ID was made (theres still no literature that I've found to back up that fact that pallidirostris shows black bill and lores - although I'm quite happy that it is a pallidirostris).
Of course CJW was going to point this out I'm sure...

Last edited:
Hello Manxman,

Nice to have another person on Birdforum thats from the wonderful Isle of man.
Hope to see some of your digiscoping pictures in the Gallery.
You must have a lot of good ones out of the 120 you took.

Pete.

unfortunately nothing as sharp as yours peetee!
did you get any nice sharp shots of the wing (showing primary projection and p2 length would be good...)?
The total is upto about 200 photos of this bird now - about half have gone straight in the recycle bin!!!:cool:

Thats my job for tomorrow, depending on the weather.
I got 3 good ones out of 55!
Have to try and improve on that return I think.

Hi Steve

The reason we in the UK can`t tick this Shrike is because the IOM isn`t included on the official British list!! a stupid scenario? i`d be interested to hear other peoples views.If my memory serves me right there was a Calandra Lark on the IOM & that could not be ticked either.

I would usually explain why the IOM isn't included in the British list Steve, but looking at your entries in the ringing/banding forum you seem uneducated and so probably wouldnt understand...;)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back