• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

long-legged buzzard/ common buzzard (1 Viewer)

NiKonrad

Hi!!

I need some help from all You birders out there, please!!
The 20. of august, I photographed an buteo buzzard, south in Norway. I first thought it had to be a common buzzard (buteo buteo), but then many people here in Norway, told me it had to be a long-legged buzzard (buteo rufinus).

I do not really know anymore, but maybe You can help me?

The bird was BIG, I think bigger than both the common, and rough-legged buzzard. Long wings and tail, the tail a little darker on the upper side than under, and with maybe 6-8 diffuse bands.
The shoulders a little lighter than the rest of the back.

Here is my websiteadress, with the three photos on top showing the one i am asking about. The next pic shows the most common buzzard here, rough-legged buzzard (buteo lagopus), and at the bottom, a photo of a long-legged buzzard (buteo rufinus) photographed in Netherland sept. 2000.

http://home.no.net/sbekkum/frya.htm

I hope You can help me.

Thanks
Svein, Norway

added the best photo of the strange one

Attachments

• musvak3.jpg
    musvak3.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 514
Svein,

I don't know if you still need an help, and I think the Norwegian Rc already expressed and opinion on that bird...

but as far as still needed its a juv. Common, doubtless

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back