• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Busnell H2O or Powerview 8X42 (1 Viewer)

Cleme

Hi - my partner and I have tried a few sets of bins and have compact 10X25s...

She tried some budget Bushnell bins at Cley in the summer (I'm pretty sure they were 8X42) and liked them very much (she's not interested in anything above 8X really but the bigger lens is going to offer more than her Olympus compacts) and I can get either of the above at a reasonable price.

She's unlikely to spend hours in the rain so the H2Os' qualities might not be needed but they do look comfortable to use. Are the optics any different? The Powerview (porro not roof prism) seems to retail at around £129 compared to the £75 of the H2Os.

Thanks

Whoops wrong spelling in header... doh!

Last edited:
There are so many H2Os you have to say which one. Go for 8x, not 10x in any case. There are still porros and roofs under the same name.

Yes, the porros will get you going on birding. There are other porros to look at, like Leupold Yosemite, 8x30, a little less bulky.

Goog luck.

Hi Tero,

The Yosemites look good, especially as they are narrower... that could suit a woman user.

However, they are more than twice the price in the UK than the Bushnells so I wouldn't consider them a direct comparison. They might make a good upgrade if we're still keen in a year or so... I doubt we'll be in the Nikon/Swaro league then!!

Not sure what price you've seem for the Yosemite. £120 for the 8x and £90 for the 6x look typical and there are better deals if you hunt around. Try the 6x as well if you can.

David

The main advantage of the Leupoolds is weight. All 42mm to 50mm porros are pretty heavy. If they are not, the housing is cheap material.

Have the roof prism 8x42 H2O's and no complaints.
Solid in build and reasonably compact.
May feel a little heavy as the size is fairly small so all the weight is also compact.
As said no complaints,very happy with them, use them a lot.

I also have the H2O 8x42 which I picked up for £80. I got them as a second pair and used them in Thailand even in tropical downpours. For the money I thought they were excellent. Best used without glasses.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back