• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Guidance for Three Days from Mumbai (1 Viewer)

sandrinhalee

bird happy
Hi everyone,

Work is taking me to Mumbai and I've managed to get three free days afterwards to do what I want. I'd like to go birding, and as a single woman, want to be safe and not stressed about safety (I just had a cell phone stolen in Milan). I also don't want to spent most of my time traveling. I've looked up a few places around Mumbai which look interesting but can't find a birding guide that is also flexible as to days and/or doesn't look like a big group nature tour for people including non-birders.

Do you think it's enough to hire a taxi driver (who won't know about birding) and ask them to take me to places like the Bhandup Pumping Station and then I just feel out the rest? Or should I definitely get a guide? Can anyone recommend someone?

Or rather than hang around the city, is there some obvious destination close by where I should spend all 3 days?

Thank you!
--S.

I've only travelled through Mumbai and, perhaps unfairly, view it as somewhere to get out of as quickly as possible.

If I was in your position, I would try to arrange 3 days birding in Kutch (Gujurat) with one of the local guides (e.g. Jugal Tiwari at CEDO), flying into Bhuj.

If you decide to stay in Mumbai and bird locally, I would suggest getting your hotel to arrange a car and driver for a fixed daily price rather than just randomly hiring a taxi. Indian taxi drivers are notorious for rip-offs and scams, and can get quite verbally aggressive over money.

I've only travelled through Mumbai and, perhaps unfairly, view it as somewhere to get out of as quickly as possible.

If I was in your position, I would try to arrange 3 days birding in Kutch (Gujurat) with one of the local guides (e.g. Jugal Tiwari at CEDO), flying into Bhuj.

If you decide to stay in Mumbai and bird locally, I would suggest getting your hotel to arrange a car and driver for a fixed daily price rather than just randomly hiring a taxi. Indian taxi drivers are notorious for rip-offs and scams, and can get quite verbally aggressive over money.

Another easy option is 1hr flight down to Goa?

A

Yes, Kerala has excellent birding. It's mostly forest birding there, whereas Gujurat is much more about dry, open country with wetlands. Although I haven't used them, for Kerala I have heard that Kalypso Adventures is a good operator, and Eldhose of Eldhose Birding Lodge an excellent guide.

When are you actually travelling? India's climate is very seasonal and this would affect my decsion making.

Just a few hours outside Mumbai the very rare Forest Owlet can be seen at Tansa Wildlife Sanctuary. If you only have 3 days I would spend it here as not enough time to fly to Bhuj or Kerala, plus plenty of other birds around such as Vigor's Sunbird etc . A local guide for the owl can pick/dropoff at the airport. I have his email if interested. Mine is [email protected].

Just a few hours outside Mumbai the very rare Forest Owlet can be seen at Tansa Wildlife Sanctuary. If you only have 3 days I would spend it here as not enough time to fly to Bhuj or Kerala, plus plenty of other birds around such as Vigor's Sunbird etc . A local guide for the owl can pick/dropoff at the airport. I have his email if interested. Mine is [email protected].

Huh? It's an hour and 25 minutes direct flight Mumbai to Bhuj.

Can't comment on the homestay or the quality of guiding, but Thattekad is one of the main birding destinations in South India, and should get you some enjoyable birding.

Yes, Kerala has excellent birding. It's mostly forest birding there, whereas Gujurat is much more about dry, open country with wetlands. Although I haven't used them, for Kerala I have heard that Kalypso Adventures is a good operator, and Eldhose of Eldhose Birding Lodge an excellent guide.

When are you actually travelling? India's climate is very seasonal and this would affect my decsion making.

Huh? It's an hour and 25 minutes direct flight Mumbai to Bhuj.

What time does the flight leave Mumbai? What time does it return to Mumbai? How long does it take to drive to CEDO and back to Bhuj? How long before departure must you be at the airport? If you think it's possible to see everything in Bhuj or Kerala in 3 days including travel time (which in all reality wiukd probably be 1 full day) I guess I gave stupid advice. I'm sorry.

What time does the flight leave Mumbai? What time does it return to Mumbai? How long does it take to drive to CEDO and back to Bhuj? How long before departure must you be at the airport? If you think it's possible to see everything in Bhuj or Kerala in 3 days including travel time (which in all reality wiukd probably be 1 full day) I guess I gave stupid advice. I'm sorry.

Jesus, where on earth do you get this attitude?
Where did I claim you gave stupid advice? Where did I claim you could "see everything" in 3 days?

There are several flights per day to Bhuj, and the drive from Bhuj to CEDO is an hour and a half. I'm sure the OP is a functioning adult and can work out what travel arrangements work for her.

Thank you everyone for your input and help! It was really helpful. I'll take into account all the information and the times needed for travel. I'm thinking of just going to a homestay in a birdy area like the one I posted earlier and just parking for birding for a few days.

Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back