• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dunlin sp help! (1 Viewer)

Pendulinus

On Thursday afternoon several of us were observing this Dunlin (see atached pic) at Minsmere reserve UK.

The bird appeared to be different to our normal Dunlin as it had a much longer, downcurved bill, darker upperparts and more mottled, messy breast, and it was slightly larger with a more hunched apperarance.

Any ideas as to race etc would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• alpinasp01.jpg
    alpinasp01.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 209
Hi Pendulinus I see this is your first post, so may I welcome you on behalf of the Staff and Moderators at Bird Forum

I'm sure someone will be along soon to help you

D

I'm not sure so would wait for the pro's but i think a long bill and lighter face are good indicators of an 'eastern' bird.

Gareth

I have just had a quick look through here http://www.dunlin.se/ theres a lot of info on dunlin there!

Last edited:
The bird is moulting into (I think) its first winter plumage (white edges to the greater coverts - someone will put me right if this is wrong). So it's still got the mottling on its belly from the juvenile plumage and a few juvenile feathers on its back, which will be replaced to form a uniform grey back. The longer bill and larger size is a feature of northern "alpina" birds. Welcome to birdforum.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back