• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beginner question:Images are blurry (1 Viewer)

markyb2

Mark
Hi there,

I am using a Kowa TS 612 with 30x eyepiece and a Coolpix 990 for digiscoping and have followed Andy's settings but my images come out very blurry. Is the scope inadaquate (pictures particularly bad on cloudy days), or do I need a shutter release for tha camera. Any advice would be much appreciated including any tips on camera settings. Please help.....

A prime reason here is that a fixed 30x eyepiece on a 60mm scope is really pushing things as far as getting in sufficient light... I'd be interested to know what sort of shutter-speed you managed with your photos.
A cable-release would do you no harm at all (though it only cures movement blur at one end of the equation).
Back off on the camera zoom as much as you can, even if a touch of vignetting appears. In worse case scenario (with the cp990) increase ISO to 200.
Maybe you could post an example for us to examine.
Regards,
Andy

Hi - I can only agree with the others, but I have been using a 60mm scope with my CP4500. You do have to juggle a number of factors to get reasonable pictures. Everything from a slight breeze to road traffic vibration, a poor tripod, lack of cable release, dull weather can all effect picture quality. I keep my camera on continuous and shoot plenty of images, often one or two are crisper. I did use a 25x eyepiece and I think a 30x with the 60mm, unless you are in bright sunlight, will be a little limiting. Much can be cured with Photoshop, most JPEG images seem to need some sharpening.
I would set the in-camera enharnsements (sharpening, and contrast) to normal settings at the most, I prefer to have them swithed off.
Hope this helps - David

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back