• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Use of filters on scopes (1 Viewer)

Mick50

Hi all. I finally made my scope purchase- Swaro STS 65mm. I use protective filters on my camera lenses, and was wondering if people use them on their scopes? Suggestions and thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Very few do. Why buy a top-of-the-line-scope only to degrade the image with a filter? Personally, I stopped using protective filters on my cameras lenses years ago and have never regretted it.

I've dropped two lenses and while it trashed the filters it kept the lens undented and more importantly kept the filter threads intact. This is important to me because I use polarizing filters a lot. But most scopes have a good setback from the end of the scope to the objective lens and my Kowa has a built in lens hood.
Steve

Essential IMHO, especially if you do a lot of seawatching. I can see absolutely no difference in image quality through my Leica APO scope with/without my Hoya filter. For the cost it's a no-brainer as its saved accidental damage to my
scope's objective on at least two occasions. Try it for yourself & see, it's the only way you'll know.

RB

I've had problems with filters in cold/damp weather, the inside of the filter can fog up and it is a bother to fix, so I prefer to use a deep rubber hood instead.
However, when on or near salt water, I'd follow Rotherbirder's counsel and use a filter as a sacrificial surface.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back