• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Female Scaup? 10th January, Lunt Meadows Nature Reserve, Lunt UK (1 Viewer)

Hi all

Haven't been on here for a while so hope you all had a Merry Christmas - and a Happy New Year to you all too :)

Santa left me a new Nikon lens - a 300 - but alas this still didn't have enough reach to get a decent photo of this little chap/chapette.

There were male and female Tufteds, but they kept their distance from this single individual (photo of Tufteds included in main upload for reference to plumage etc).

I've not altered the images so if they are over/under exposed then at least they haven't been altered in post.

Why do I think it's a female Scaup? Different plumage, the lack of tuft (but this could just be down to the conditions) and the light bar across the top of the beak area.

Any help appreciated.

thanks!

Attachments

• scaup.jpg
    scaup.jpg
    442.3 KB · Views: 139
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back