• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thoughts sought on Scope + heat (1 Viewer)

KC Foggin

Very, very long time member
Supporter
United States
It has been so much easier for me to keep the scope in the trunk of my car during the winter and spring months but I am a bit hesitant about leaving it there with our close to 100 degree summer days which are fast approaching. Rightly so?

Hi KC,

I use a small luch pack with insulating material to use as a camera bag. It has a zipper pouch on top for my 5x Zoom Lens.
The main pouch big enough for camera with hood, Nikon lens pack , 3 sets of batteries, plus 3 net bag enclosure's for whatever.
The thing I like the most is that it looks like a "Lunch Pack and not a camera case.
I agree with Kevin apaut breakdown of rubber parts in your heat,
should read 100++, I remenber Parris Island in July at Marine boot camp!

My Leica, non APO, shows heat shimmer on a hot day when at the shore during a day of digiscoping. The tube itself is "hot" to touch, got to affect the image.

My advice, keep it out of the trunk, better to be safe than sorry!

Thank you both. Honestly? I was not even thinking about the heat with the rubber eyepiece. *smacking herself on her blonde head* I was concerned about the optics but hadn't given the consequences of the heat on the rubber a thought. It will be taken in during the summer months then.
Kevin, *now I am knocking on wood*, my area is fairly safe and well patrolled by the local law enforcement but why tempt fate.
Bob, last year we had almost a month of 100 + temps and it is positively debilitating.

Kevin, Great idea about the shade. I usually try to find shelter under trees for shade, but a large golf umbrella attached to the car roof rack would work great.

KC, I don't envey you with those temps of 100++!

Good question K.C.
My Swarovski (according to the handbook) can be stored at temps between -30c to 70c (-22f to 158f) and can operated at temps between -20c to 55c (-4f to 131f). I couldn't say if this applies to your scope.
I expect there is drift in focus when the temps change quickly, given that here is a fair amount of metal in a scope.
They do stress that humidity is the main problem for storage, so storage in an airtight bag with silica gel is vital in those sticky places

Leica used to stress, in their camera literature, that their 'Apo' lenses used only 'E.D.'-type glass as Fluorite changed its refractive index with different changes of temperature - no great problem with a scope, of course, as they often focus 'beyond' infinity to accomodate different people's eyes. Incidentally, they also claimed that a sudden, large change in temperature could even shatter the fluorite elements! (Never heard of it, myself!)

Adey

I know someone who has welded a metal tube to the frame of a camping chair,when the sun gets to hot he slots an small umbrella into the tube,gives him more than enough shade.

Great Tip stevo, simple solution to the problem.
It's amazing what you learn from everyone's input at this site.
Thanks!

Having birded in some really hot countries (try the UAE in summer!), I have never noticed any adverse effects on the optics. High humidity seems to be worse, rapidly degrading all rubber. This applies especially to the carrying-strap, I suspect the combination of heat and sweat is not very good for the neoprene straps.

I've heard enough here to decide the trunk/boot of my car during the very hot days of summer here is not the place for my scope. Thanks everyone.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back