• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

NIKON FIELD SCOPE II - 60mm ED - Thoughts Please? (1 Viewer)

Des!

What are peoples thoughts on a NIKON FIELD SCOPE II - 60mm ED?

I'm just looking into starting Digiscoping - What camera would be best suited with this scope & would I require anything else to get it going?

How much would you expect to pay for one second hand?

Cheers

Des :t:

I can tell you that the Fieldscope III 60 is a great little scope. I use mine for birding but do some digiscoping with it. If I was going to do a lot of digiscoping, a 82 mm would probably be a good investment.

I've been using a Contax U4R without any bracket / cable release but as set up, it's not great. I've been watching the thread on the Nikon P series cameras (1,2,3,4) and am considering this for "my" Christmas present. You might want to look at that thread.

Nikon have come out with a 40X eyepiece for digiscoping that works with an adapter for the P series cameras. Hate to give up my 30XWA, I love it.

I had this scope in the past and I regret replacing it with the 82ED. The latter is bigger, heavier and I'm not sure at all it is optcally better.

Des! said:
How much would you expect to pay for one second hand?

Cheers

Des :t:

Hi Des,

Good starter scope, excellent optics, Cley Spy have one s/h for £295 inc 30x eyepiece. Agree with Dave, the ED82 would be better for hardcore digiscoping but for birding & occasional d/s it would be fine. The current fieldscopes are waterproof & have improved multicoating, but for a first scope under 300 quid the ED2 would be great.

ATB,

John.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back