• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tracks (1 Viewer)

Tree Sparrow

Does anyone know what made these tracks? The library card is 8.5cm wide to give a general idea of size.

Location a wooded glen with a burn and the prints were in the silt at the side of the burn.

DSC_0032.jpg

I really must get a book on tracks!

TS

I probably didn't explain very well but the prints would be a max of 2cm wide, so not badger or otter. I was thinking along the lines of stoat, pine marten or rabbit/hare, even mink maybe. I know that we have all 5 of those in the area.

Thanks for trying though.

TS

Going on the size/shape i wud have to say mink...i'm no expert....but in recent times have been searching locally for otters and have come across many 'mink impressions' in soft mud.

I think you could be right. I've been googling like mad and they did look a bit like a couple of the mink prints I found on the internet. Probably my least favourite thing to have there!

Thanks for the help.

TS

Ooooh, I hadn't even thought of squirrel! I haven't seen any there but you never know. I think I'll put a nut feeder up and see if anything visits. Greys haven't reached here yet so if it is a red squirrel I'm more than happy to encourage it.

Thanks Paul.

TS

Looking in my Collins incomplete guide to British Wildlife I would rule out squirrel, forefeet on squirrel are much longer and thinner, favourite is brown rat but even that not an exact match.

cheers

Alan M.

Looking in my Collins incomplete guide to British Wildlife I would rule out squirrel, forefeet on squirrel are much longer and thinner, favourite is brown rat but even that not an exact match.

cheers

Alan M.

Oh yuck! Well I'm sure there are rats about. I know what you mean about not being an exact match..........they don't seem to exactly match any one animal but the prints I photographed were all that were there so it didn't look as if tracks had got mixed up with more than one animal.

I think I'll just have to keep checking for tracks there and hopefully come across some which are more distinctive and actually match one particular animal perfectly. Plus I'll make sure I get a good book.

Thanks for everyones help.

TS

Hi,
For what its worth I would suggest in the lines of a Bank Vole, the size is right 2cm, this is a photo taken from the Collins book to show some comparisons. Take your pick.
http://mikeyb.smugmug.com/photos/485120320_ikTit-L.jpg

Thanks for the photo of the page, much appreciated. The nearest looks like Hamster, which is highly unlikely :-O. It's the top right print in my pic that really confuses me as it's got the four little pad marks in a very regular pattern. I think I give up lol.

TS

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back