• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SX40 Super Zoom (3 Viewers)

I took the SX40HS with me to Chicago and New York as my birding camera . Not a lot of birds as the weather was rubbish most of the time. Here are a few images from the trip.
Neil

Canon SX40HS

Central Park
New York
and
Montrose Park
Chicago

Nov 2011

Attachments

• hooded merganser breed sx40hs IMG_1218.jpg
    hooded merganser breed sx40hs IMG_1218.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 450
  • red bellied woodpecker sx40hs IMG_1523.jpg
    red bellied woodpecker sx40hs IMG_1523.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 703
  • squirell central park sx40hs IMG_2336.jpg
    squirell central park sx40hs IMG_2336.jpg
    359.1 KB · Views: 412
  • central park sx40hs IMG_2380.jpg
    central park sx40hs IMG_2380.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 270
  • central park sx40hs IMG_1284.jpg
    central park sx40hs IMG_1284.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 285
Central Park,NY was the perfect location for the SX40HS and most times I didn't even need the long end of the zoom. Here are a few more.
Neil

Attachments

• squirell central park sx40hs IMG_1622.jpg
    squirell central park sx40hs IMG_1622.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 251
  • squirells central park sx40hs IMG_1708.jpg
    squirells central park sx40hs IMG_1708.jpg
    357.9 KB · Views: 229
  • blue jay central park sx40hs IMG_1654.jpg
    blue jay central park sx40hs IMG_1654.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 526
  • sparrow central park sx40hs IMG_1769.jpg
    sparrow central park sx40hs IMG_1769.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 412
I am becoming envious of the SX40. But, I still can't get as nice photos as I have seen with the SX30 that I have seem posted.

Neil, did you do any significant post processing? Were those close to max zoom or crop much? Special settings?

I was at B and H photo today in New York testing this camera. ... Now all ' in store' mind you but I was impressed. No live birds... Only various distances of posters on the wall but clarity sharp... Color fine, some shots from a goodly distance while others were near.

Again... In store... Not real world. The IS appeared to work as advertised.

While in Ecuador this summer I took my SX20 down and was extremely disappointed in the camera performance in low light.... And in continuous shooting. While in the store today I was equally disappointed in the continuous shooting . Low light? ... Couldn't be measured since the camera was chained to the display and the store was bright.

All in all.... I, under those in store conditions am tempted.... Especially with shots posted by Neil. I still think it would make an excellent walk about... A super birding camera when one is traveling etc. not yet sold on continuous shooting n on low light ...

Last edited:
I am becoming envious of the SX40. But, I still can't get as nice photos as I have seen with the SX30 that I have seem posted.

Neil, did you do any significant post processing? Were those close to max zoom or crop much? Special settings?

My processing in photoshop could also be done in camera.
Boost contrast, sharpening and saturation.
I always shoot in Scene Mode - hi speed burst.
Image stabilizing works up to full zoom
Neil

Having studied the SX40 spec and the photos on this thread I couldn't wait to take the plunge. My usual kit is a 7D with a 500mm F4 L IS. I can only say that the SX40 is IMHO a superb birding camera. I'm stunned by the results, even handheld at 850mm in poor light. I can see that my "big kit" is going to do a lot less mileage!
It came last Friday and I haven't been able to put it down since. See my pics on http://www.flickr.com/photos/mistyduck

OK so would I be a moron to upgrade from the SX30 to the SX40 as my Xmas present from my wife and kids? I've had the SX30 since spring this year.

OK so would I be a moron to upgrade from the SX30 to the SX40 as my Xmas present from my wife and kids? I've had the SX30 since spring this year.

As I understand it the SX30 has the same optics. The SX40 has the latest Digic processor and a new sensor. Only you can judge if there is a difference between the SX40 pics here and your SX30 results.

Having searched some reviews and finding some convincing side by side shots from the SX30 and the new SX40, plus generally strong comments on the superiority of the 40 vs the 30, I am convinced that the 40 is significantly superior to the 30 to warrant making it my Xmas present this year.

Combined with the much improved burst speed and better low light performance, I decided to take the plunge.

I didn't hunt a lot of places. A bit of Googling I got it from B&H, a reputable mail order dealer in the US for $389. Amazon was $20 more.

It will arrive Dec 1. The bad news is that my wife will confiscate it and I can't have it until the 25th :(

I'm still hesitant.... An all in one super portable n at a real cheap cost is nirvana.
How it works in the field is the key n Neil has some good shots . Anything shot from a distance will be a bit suspect and this camera no different. Distance shots a bit soft and I guessing real noisy if cropped or you look at images not purely as 'web quality shots'.

It would appear images at a shorter distance are not that bad ... But again keep in mind they are web shots and perhaps in print, much over a 4 x 6 is grainy.

Not sure on my concerns above.... I may be totally wrong. I would love to shed the heavy camera plus zoom lens for this ultra light zoom. But in the field is where it counts n how it performs in low light conditions and still has a rapid fps, low noise etc... Still up for grabs.

Still waiting to be convinced. I was in B n H and compared shots with my xs20 n in the store.... Little if any difference in quality. My xs20 performs poorly in the field do will the sx40 given same conditions .

@Dave Hawkins - The wader pics were close, frame-filling shots at something like 15-20 feet. They are cropped but only a little, just to help composition. The Gulls were more like 40 feet away.
I'm used to a 7D and a 500mm and I would say that the SX40 is fine for shots to be published on the web. If I were out to get some prints I would use the 7D. I suspect that some of the difference comes from the SX40's jpeg files where I would always use RAW on the 7D. There is talk of a hack for the SX40 to provide RAW files - I might give that a go in the future.

Recently I went out on two days birding (not specifically to take photos) and carried my SLR gear for miles, never taking one shot. That was not good for my shoulder or my gear. If I'm going out "on spec" then if I'm carrying the SX40 I'll feel that I'll still be able to get a half-decent photo if I see something exciting or even just a record shot if there is no chance of a decent pic. The SX40 at full digital zoom gives about 3300mm (!) equivalent focal length albeit at reduced resolution.

I can see that it's also going to get me into video. Whereas we tend to try to fill the frame when taking stills, a video viewed back on a big telly doesn't need such frame filling shots. If you watch Mr Attenborough's programmes you'll notice that most shots put the subject in context, showing large amounts of background.

There'll be more pics at the weekend (I hope).

Thanks for the reply.

If the Sx40 performs well - beyond the reach of the FZ150 (600mm) then it's the camera for me....but maybe I,ll have to buy one to find out!

I am a birder first and foremost, decent screen viewed shots are all that I am want!

Looking forward to seeing your next images.

I've posted a new Buzzard pic on http://www.flickr.com/photos/mistyduck . I'm not sure whether it was the poor light or the distance but I think I have about reached the limit of the SX40s capabilities. My 7D would have recorded far more detail on this pic using a RAW file. I think that the softness could be down to either the jpeg files or the in-camera noise reduction.

I've posted a new Buzzard pic on http://www.flickr.com/photos/mistyduck . I'm not sure whether it was the poor light or the distance but I think I have about reached the limit of the SX40s capabilities. My 7D would have recorded far more detail on this pic using a RAW file. I think that the softness could be down to either the jpeg files or the in-camera noise reduction.
Just had a gander at your flickr shots with the SX40 Adrian - pretty impressive IMO. I have been pondering about getting a superzoom as lightweight option compared to my DSLR set-up, were many of your wader shots cropped? and if so be how much.

I agree about the RAW option, I think that is something I would miss very much.

Thanks for the posting Adrian.

Was the image cropped and at full zoom?

Have you got any examples with the built in teleconverter?

Many thanks

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back