• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Little Marlow Gravel Pits (1 Viewer)

mba007

First of all, thanks to 'ashrich' for pointing me to this location. I don't know how great it is compared to other places but it was an interesting visit. Not knowing exactly what to write, here's a list of sightings from Saturday 16th February ...

12+ grey herons in heronry
1 possible marsh tit or willow tit
a few great-crested grebes
wigeons
mallards
teal
tufted ducks
long-tailed tits
lapwing with beautiful iridescent green backs
coots
many cormorants (possibly)
pheasant in a field
pochards (possibly)
mute swan
a thousand-or-so of gull-like birds beyond binocular identification.

This is the most eclectic mix I've seen around Maidenhead. Nothing of any rarity, but interesting to see. I'm still working on identifications but I'm sure this will come.

More suggestions gratefully received |:D|

Martin

Attachments

• Picture_90.jpg
    Picture_90.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Visited Little Marlow GP for a couple of hours in the afternoon … I had planned one hour but got carried away. I’m convinced I saw a Kingfisher while walking over the first brook. It was a blue body with an orange flash flying to my right. Unfortunately I didn’t manage to spot where it landed so can only presume that it was a Kingfisher.

List of birds:
- 3 x snipes
- many wigeon
- many lapwing
- maybe a ruddy shelduck
- a few Shelduck
- cormorant
- herons
- teal
- coot
- moorhen
- black-headed gulls
- tufted ducks
- great crested grebes
- coal tits

A couple of dog-walkers has a look through the scope and were suitably impressed. Telling me they’d just been to Norfolk and mentioned the badger-head sparrow.

Attachments

• ruddyshelduck.jpg
    ruddyshelduck.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 103
Hi Martin,
You have found one of the best places (if not the best) to view birds local to Maidenhead. The GP has lots of different species and with the sandspit close views can be had without disturbing the birds. I'm not a regular there but have visited many times. During your visits you are sure to bump into one of the regulars who watch LMGP. They tend to view from around the bench near the houses and have a great knowledge of what has been seen.
The picture is of a Ruddy Shelduck seen regulary for the past 2 years. Also reports of what is being seen can be found on the forum Buckbirders yahoo group and also in monthly reports from the Bucks Bird Club. The Bucks Bird Club have a organised walk around LMGP once a year plus also other sites. I will find out the date. These could help with your bird identification. Also other sites nearby are the Jubilee River, Dorney Lake and Bray Gp's.

Kevin

Hi Martin,

the capped Tit you saw would most likely be a Marsh Tit as Willow have all but disappeared in the home counties. As well as for Bucks that Kevin mentioned, for info on other places to visit, try www.berksbirds.co.uk and www.birdsofberkshire.co.uk

There are plenty of interesting birds in the area and a lot of good birders!

Berksbirds has links to the local bird club (BOC) and the local RSPB members group.

ATB

Robin

Thanks Robin and Kevin. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Kevin, I'll seek out the Bucks Birds website. An organised walk sounds very social and useful. I'll try out the other places you suggest.

Robin, thanks for the heads up on the Marsh Tit, and also the websites. I know that there is an East Berks RSPB group. I would have gone to the last meeting, but I didn't want to make a first appearance on valentines day as first impressions count :)

Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back