• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Devonian Goes to Kernow! (Part Three of Three) (1 Viewer)

Andrew

wibble wibble
24-10-03
Location : RSPB Hayle, RSPB Marazion, Helston Loe Pool & Kynance, Cornwall. SW547364, SW505314, SW647255 & SW688130.

After packing our gear we set off for the Lizard calling in various places. The first was Hayle Estuary where I hoped to see the American Wigeon. With determination I scanned all of Lelant Saltings from the Old Quay Inn and the Tempest car park. Sadly the Wigeon did not give itself up and it was a job looking at each one of at least five hundred Eurasian Wigeons. All was not lost as I added a Common Greenshank and some Common Ringed Plovers to the tally. Moving on to Marazion’s Longrock Pool was good for some more views of three Bearded Tits but again the male did not show itself well. There was a stroke of luck as a Jack Snipe took off from the channel in front of us. I had some doubts about a few I had seen before and this one was a definite lifer. The American Wigeon was reported at Hayle so we dashed back after consuming our pasties. In not so many words, I failed to see it again. The duck not being in full breeding plumage does not help. I did manage to see the Green-winged Teal again and add Curlew Sandpiper and a Mediterranean Gull. A Peregrine Falcon chased some waders over the mudflat. The next port of call was Helston Loe Pool where I endured a long and brisk walk after going down the wrong path from Degibna car park. At the north end I finally ticked off Greater Scaup from my life list and had a possible glimpse of an American Black Duck. I was not worried about the Black Duck as I had seen one on the Scillies last month. It was going well with two lifers so far in a day. The other notables on the Loe Pool were a minimum of five Common Goldeneyes, a Common Shelduck, several Eurasian Wigeon and Eurasian Teal. A Ring-billed Gull was reported nearby on the boating pool but we opted to carry on to the Lizard for a crack at seeing some Choughs. We pulled into the National Trust car park at Kynance Cove and searched the coastal cliffs. After about an hour I rushed towards a point overlooking Lion Rock and there was a wonderful Red-billed Chough probing into the soil. Later in the evening, I noticed it’s legs were a deeper red than the illustrations in the Collins guide. The young Chough had red over yellow rings on it’s right leg and a metal ring on the left. This was amazingly the third lifer of the day.

25-10-03
Location : Stithians & Roadford Reservoirs, Cornwall & Devon. SW710372 & SX428912.

Yesterday’s successful location of the Chough meant we could head straight to Stithians Reservoir which was rated highly in a regional guide book. I was disappointed to find the hide was locked but still got good views round the side of it. The best birds on offer were a Common Greenshank, a Common Gull, a Little Egret and some Meadow Pipits. The bird life was a lot richer in the north end of the reservoir. There were good numbers of Eurasian Teal, Eurasian Wigeon, Tufted Ducks, Little Grebes and Canada Geese among many other commoner species. The next stop on the way home was Roadford Reservoir back home in Devon. One of my favourite hides is here, it is not new but well built and hardly used. The view is superb and you can have the whole place to yourself. The cushions on the benches and complimentary magazines are a bonus! Being back home, I switched to my usual meticulous counting mode. Each bird was counted carefully and recorded. The best the reservoir provided were three Common Goldeneyes, fifty seven Eurasian Teal, sixty Eurasian Wigeon, four Great Crested Grebes, two Common Pochards, a male Common Kestrel and three Little Grebes. A couple of Clouded Yellow butterflies were about in the sunshine. By the road bridge I was lifted by the sight of at least three White Wagtails with some Pied Wagtails. The whole trip has been a successful and highly enjoyable one with eight lifers and eighty three species in all. For me the best one was the simplest bird of all, the Red-billed Chough.

The full species list is Black-Headed Gull, Black-legged Kittiwake, Common Gull, Great Black-backed Gull, Herring Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Mediterranean Gull, European Shag, Great Cormorant, Black-tailed Godwit, Eurasian Curlew, Common Redshank, Common Greenshank, Eurasian Oystercatcher, Ruddy Turnstone, Lesser Yellowlegs, Common Ringed Plover, Curlew Sandpiper, Dunlin, Jack Snipe, Common Goldeneye, Common Pochard, Common Shelduck, Eurasian Teal, Eurasian Wigeon, Gadwall, Greater Scaup, Green-winged Teal, Mallard, Tufted Duck, Canada Goose, Mute Swan, Common Moorhen, Eurasian Coot, Great Crested Grebe, Little Grebe, Water Rail, Grey Heron, Little Egret, Carrion Crow, Common Magpie, Common Raven, Common Starling, Eurasian Jay, Red-billed Chough, Western Jackdaw, Common Pheasant, Collared Dove, Rock Pigeon, Common Buzzard, Common Kestrel, Merlin, Peregrine Falcon, Barn Swallow, Bearded Tit, Great Tit, Long Tailed Tit, Eurasian Blue Tit, Common Chaffinch, Common Linnet, Eurasian Bullfinch, European Goldfinch, European Greenfinch, House Sparrow, Common Stonechat, European Robin, Whinchat, Common Blackbird, Fieldfare, Redwing, Ring Ouzel, Chiffchaff, European Reed Warbler, Goldcrest, Palla’s Warbler, Willow Warbler, Yellow-browed Warbler, Winter Wren, Grey Wagtail, Pied Wagtail, White Wagtail, Meadow Pipit and Rock Pipit.

Last edited:
Andrew,
Looks like I was premature in congratulating you on the two lifers in part one. This trip must have been a cracking success with 8 lifers. I agree, the Chough is a great bird. Seen them in west Wales near Strumble Head lighthouse when I used to do a bit of seawatching from there.

Nice report as usual,Andrew,makes one really look forward to visiting that area.

I remember a Post you made a couple of months back referring to the birder's "Wall"........well you've certainly vaulted over yours with all these recent Lifers!

Colin, yes, those Choughs are really special and it seems a lot of folk ask the National Trust warden where they are when they pull into the car park. The more folk knowing has gotta be good for the birds?

Trevor, certainly feels great to have a sprint in the lifer lane! Problem is adjusting to the routine of stamp birds. It was no problem really cos I had a nice brief walk in a wood yesterday with the usual woodland specials and enjoyed every bit of it.

That was a good bit of luck to see a Jack Snipe Andrew.
I've searched in vain lots of times.
I'll try looking somewhere else in future.

Gerry, try BGM. Kingfisher went there and was really lucky to see one right out in front of the hide on the spit across the pond.

That was a great trip, Andrew. You seem to have cleared up on pretty well everything. OK, so maybe you might have got a few more Yellow-browed, but I've never seen the point in playing the numbers game! I think I'd agree with you about the Chough. Absolutely magic birds.

Jason

I wondered why I only saw one of the Yellow-broweds myself. I am deaf so I don't find birds by sound, that might be thre reason? I really wish I had got the American Wigeon though!

Could be. As someone was saying on another thread the other day, YBWs can be damned elusive at times. But spare a thought for a chap I work with. He spent last week at Nanquidno seeing b****r all. One his last morning he worked the valley, but ran out of patience before he got to the last house and went eslewhere. Later on he got a message on his mobile saying there was a YBW by the last house.

The American Wigeon doesn't seem to have been seen for days. Of course it could still be knocking around down on the peninsula and turn up again. Is this a regular returner (I seem to remember a year or two back that one seemed set to establish a pattern) or a new arrival?

Jason

I know the feeling!

As for the American Wigeon, it was a long stayer last year at Hayle and possibly the year before. I was woried it had not been seen for a while cos I was thinking of doing a christmas trip down on the train when it is in full plumage and easier to spot. Hope it hasn't been shot!!!!

Ah, sounds like the same bird then. That's good. The Wigeon flock down there does seem to be a bit dynamic, so it could turn up again.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back