• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tree Creepers - The invisible sneak (1 Viewer)

I had an unexpected lifer bonus a couple of years ago, picking up on a Short-Toed Treecreeper smack bang in the middle of Amsterdam, feeding on a tree next to a falafel stall near Centraal Station!

I often see them where I live, usually I hear them first - but not their calls (I don't think I can hear them either), it's their scrabbling around on the bark that draws my attention to them. It's how I locate squirrels as well.

Mark

Treecreeper is one of those birds that I go for ages without seeing and then for a while I see them everywhere I go.

I find when you're in a forest and a flock of tits is passing if you stop and stay silent often theres treecreepers as well.

Well done! Don't suppose you want to know that we have a resident treecreeper in our Hampshire garden and often have 2-3 nuthatches in as well. :)

With their backs to the surroundings they never seem aware of people around potentially watching them, that gives them the impression of being confiding birds, and once you see on you'd be able to watch it for a while as it moves from tree to tree.

I think you are on to something there. I often wondered why they would be more confiding than say Blue Tits and Great Tits, but the Treecreeper must have a very unique view of the world due to its totally different body position.

Treecreeper. Hmmm. Very European. But reading up it must fill a similar niche that our nuthatch fills though nuthatches are just as likely to be upside-down on the tree than right-side up. They are easy to spot because they are bluish gray instead of brown streaked and are constantly moving which makes them damn hard to photograph.

Just noticed that this was a second page. Nuthatch in Europe. Hmm. Google is your friend. Looks totally different from our American nuthatches. Another same name for totally different bird?

Attachments

• IMG_1263.jpg
    IMG_1263.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 17
To add, I see treecreepers bloody everywhere now.. Honestly, 7 or 8 in a walk.

Thank you for the help given here, as I progress, this sort of help is really valued!

Steve

I've been seeing the Brown Creeper a lot this year. I'm not sure why they are here all of a sudden, but I'm really glad they are. And they aren't too afraid of us either..several times I've been sitting on the deck and he flew to the Walnut tree, right beside me, and even let me get several photos. I love those little critters!

I've been seeing the Brown Creeper a lot this year. I'm not sure why they are here all of a sudden, but I'm really glad they are.

I would guess that the increase in population would be due to migrants. I imagine there are a few wintering birds in your area (as there are in mine) but you will see a lot more of them when they start moving through on migration.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back