• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of Barbados (1 Viewer)

Birds of Barbados: A new species looking to establish it self on the island Black-crowned Night Heron -http://100barbadosbirds.blogspot.com/2014/03/black-crowned-night-heron-nycticorax.html?spref=fb

Just added photos of another Bird of Barbados- Yellow Warbler see at link below
http://100barbadosbirds.blogspot.com/2014/03/yellow-warbler-dendroica-petechia.html?spref=fb

Yellow Warbler (Dendroica petechia )

Following the recent split and genus transfer, now Mangrove Warbler Setophaga petechia (not Yellow Warbler, which is now Setophaga aestiva).

Intersting point: Barbados is where Linnaeus obtained the first specimen of Setophaga petechia (he described it as Motacilla petechia in 1766).

Depending on which authority one believes in. Most people around here go with AOU/Clements and therefore has not split the yellow warbler complex at this time (if I am wrong, then I am interested in knowing that!). Even if split, I would have expected you to mention the Golden warbler, not the Mangrove warbler for this form -- if split I was expecting a 3-way split.

Niels

Depending on which authority one believes in. Most people around here go with AOU/Clements and therefore has not split the yellow warbler complex at this time (if I am wrong, then I am interested in knowing that!). Even if split, I would have expected you to mention the Golden warbler, not the Mangrove warbler for this form -- if split I was expecting a 3-way split.

Niels

IOC only does two way as American Yellow and Mangrove; Golden included within Mangrove

Just last month the birder here in Barbados were debating that very subject.

Here is a copy of one of the email don't think the writer would mind.

Some (limited?) DNA analysis argued for the splitting of the "Yellow Warbler" complex.(i forget the reference and would not know where to begin looking for the article .......)

Curson et. al (1994) in Warblers of the Americas made a case for separating the migratory aestiva group of North America from resident "Golden" petechia group of W.I. and resident "Mangrove" erithachorides group of Central and South America.
Ridgely and Tudor (1989) The Birds of South America Volume 1 The oscine passerines, concur and say that "Golden" of W.I . and "Mangrove" of Central And S. America "perhaps deserve to be separated as a full species from the n[orthern] Yellow Warbler."
However the A.O. U. (date?) once again subsumed all forms into Yellow Warbler. Whether correct or "cowrong" not for me to argue against the A.O.U.'s decision......

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back