• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red Kites (1 Viewer)

minibusmick

Hi, please stick with me cos I'm new to this. I live in Colchester, Essex, and keep small Pekin bantams for a hobby. A couple of weeks ago, I heard a commotion outside, and when I went out there was a red kite flying about right above my bantam flock, which made them disappear into their house. They normally roam the garden during the day, and I'd like to know if a red kite would take one of these small bantams if it got the chance.
Thanks

Doubt it. Not exactly swift bird predators these kites - voles, mice and earthworms are more their speed!

It would if it got the chance, but as Peter says, earthworms are more their speed. They mainly scavenge but they do take living prey. As long as your birds have a safe place to retreat they'll be ok. Mind you the bantam cock might play dead if you follow that old song.;) "she'll be down in a minute or two".
And welcome to the forum

A few years ago a free range chicken farm had trouble with a pair of red kites taking young poults.The kites were very persistant often chasing the poults on foot even when I was present only 40 yards away. It may be uncommon , but given a chance kites will take small chickens.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back