• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with binocular choice (1 Viewer)

Thanks Bruce for all that info!! I am from Marquette, MI. The U. P. Not much around here. I will keep checking though. Man didn't think i would have such a tough decision

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Rev,

It is kind of hard to get a good feel for your request. I get that you want to replace the Conquest HD. But other than maybe you want an 8x there is not much to go by. Just what is wrong with the Conquest that makes you feel the need to replace? That information would be helpful. It might boil down to a needed service issue.

It has been pointed out that the Conquest is already a quite high quality binocular. It has also been mentioned that to improve that view much you likely need to go all the way up the spending ladder to a true top end Swaro, Zeiss, Leica, or Nikon. The thing is that expenditure won't improve the view very much. There are improvements to be sure, but for them to show up you really need to have your conquest and something else side by side for any improvements to show. Sometimes you just have to give up trying to find differences that for all intents and purposed don't exist. Any improvement, regardless of how hard one has to look for it, is more than ample cause for some to go for the upgrade. I fall into the camp of the improvement may not be worthwhile if what you want to replace does not get roundly trounced in a side by side. The Conquest will be difficult to trounce. Another thing in favor of the Conquest is that it is pretty compact for a full size glass.

The Maven B1 and B2 have been mentioned. They are nice instruments, at the very least on par with the Conquest, but those two are not small binoculars. Keep in mind that for whatever the reason the fov specs on the Maven binoculars are understated.

People tend to over think upgrades, or perhaps expect there to be more difference than there in fact is. I would not tell you that you will see a lot of practical optical upgrade from the Conquest.

Anyway it is likely best to use some dealer like Eagle Optics who has a good return policy. Some feel bad about using them as a try before you buy stop, but EO views that as a cost of doing business. They are in Madison WI, so they are at least not on the other side of the country from you. The only person a new glass has to impress is you. I have given up being surprised at how differently any two people may see the same binocular.

EDIT: In the end, you might find it worth a couple of days to take the time to do some serious looking.

Last edited:
I wonder if they were trying to give it a tactical look to go along with their main product line.
I am sure that was their idea. The 9x45's specifications are similar to the 9x45 Maven B.2 and the Sig Sauer 11x45 did well in the Outdoor Life binocular review. It had the best resolution out of every binoculars they tested even the Leica Ultravid HD Plus 8x32. Could be a new alpha being born? Zeiss killer?

http://www.outdoorlife.com/2016-binocular-test-we-test-17-full-and-mid-size-binos#page-2

Last edited:
Thanks Bruce for all that info!! I am from Marquette, MI. The U. P. Not much around here. I will keep checking though. Man didn't think i would have such a tough decision

Marquette has a Gander Mountain Outdoor store according to their website. At one time they carried Swarovski but they do not show any Swaro binoculars on the website, just a couple of rifle scopes. They do show your Conquest 10X42 on the site so maybe that is where you got yours. Anyway, I would guess you have been there but if not, then it may be worth a visit.

Many of the Cabela's stores carry some upper end product. The closest one for you that I could find is in Green Bay, WI. You are right, there is not much close!

The closest large show that I can think of is the Biggest Week in American Birding held in May east of Toledo, OH. Most of the vendors that market to birders attend that show (Zeiss, Swaro, Leica, Opticron, etc,).

http://www.biggestweekinamericanbirding.com/

Attending last year ........

0 - Optics Alley.jpg

Edit: Try to locate the local birding clubs in your area. Many hold public bird walks. On occasion there may be a group leader or guest that has a high end model that would interest you. Most birders are more than willing to let you look if asked.

Last edited:
Getting a lot of knowledge! Thank you. I was just thinking about something else for a better fov. I like the magnification of the 10x but when in the woods its a little much. Seems when focusing it takes a minute to find the sweet spot. Doesn't always stay put. If that makes sense. I hear what you are saying about the price to upgrade. The gander mtn around me is terrible. Nothing there or in stock. I do go to Green Bay to Cabelas but all they had was Razors and one pair of swarovskis. No 8x binos.

Getting a lot of knowledge! Thank you. I was just thinking about something else for a better fov. I like the magnification of the 10x but when in the woods its a little much. Seems when focusing it takes a minute to find the sweet spot. Doesn't always stay put. If that makes sense. I hear what you are saying about the price to upgrade. The gander mtn around me is terrible. Nothing there or in stock. I do go to Green Bay to Cabelas but all they had was Razors and one pair of swarovskis. No 8x binos.

Rev,

I might be wrong, but I think that along with FOV you are also talking about DOF, ("depth of field") here.

When you are walking about "in the woods," as you noted, a 10x binocular can really be "a little much" when it comes to finding the "sweet spot," which, I think you mean, is the spot that is in focus.

That is because, compared to a 7x or 8x binocular, a 10x binocular has very short depth of field so when you are looking though all those tree branches trying to follow a bird, like a warbler, near you, most of what you are seeing will be out of focus unless you can rapidly turn your focus wheel to follow the bird.

If you are using a 7x42 binocular lots of those tree branches that the bird is flitting about in will be in focus so you can follow the bird through them much easier with only small adjustments of the focus wheel.

Also, 7x and 8x binoculars almost always have wider fields of view than 10x binoculars do and for that reason they are easier to use during a walk in the woods than 10x binoculars are.

In short, for this kind of use, I think 8x binoculars will be a lot better for you than 10x will be. 7x binoculars are hard to find anymore and all of them are expensive. You can order good Nikon 8x42 Monarch 7 ATB binoculars through Cabelas on line. They have a wide 8º FOV or 420'@1000yards and cost about $480.00. They have long 17.1mm eye relief.

Bob

Thanks! Yeah i am gonna go with an 8x. Well 99.9% sure. O am thinking a slc hd?

Thanks! Yeah i am gonna go with an 8x. Well 99.9% sure. O am thinking a slc hd?

Nothing wrong with those! If you can find one. They were replaced by the SLC WB which doesn't focus as close as the HD did. And it is out of stock at Eagle Optics.

If you aren't into looking at bugs,and Humming Birds the new ones should work for you. You might want to wait to find out what Swarovski's new product will be which they are going to reveal soon.

Here is a link to the 8x42 SLC WB.

https://www.eagleoptics.com/collect...slc-8x42-wb-binocular#shopify-product-reviews

Bob

Rev44 ..... Good to see you are still hanging in there with us.

My choice of the two SLC models is the prior version with the closer focus. I also like the armoring and styling better on the prior model (personal preferences only). One downside side is many have some sticking in the focus. That can be improved by sending them off to Swaro of N. America for free warranty service. It is a potential small hassle but worth the effort considering all of the other quality attributes of the SLC.

Here is a prior SLC 8X42 that was listed in the Bargains thread a while back. There are still a couple left and it looks like a very good price to me, especially for a new model. These originally sold for around $2,150. I would just confirm these folks are an authorized dealer to make sure it was imported by Swaro of NA. That way the warranty is valid. They are in Canada so the US price shipped should be about $1,394.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Swarovski-O...sh=item237a4d3ab8:g:BHEAAOSwOyJX4ZWB#shpCntId

The newest version was discounted under an authorized Swaro sale during the holidays but that has now ended. The price of the 8X42 new version has gone back up to $1,749.

I have both the prior version SLC 8X42 and the Zeiss SF 8X42. If I had to choose one, I would stay with the SF since it has some qualities high on my personal priority list. The primary item is the wide FOV. They are both excellent and in in some ways, it comes down to personal preferences.

If you were to do a side by side comparison of the two, I think the things you would notice immediately are:
- A small difference in color balance, but both are close to neutral.
- The wider FOV of the SF.
- A more rearward balance in handling of the SF
- A smoother focus mechanism of the SF with easier access.
- The sharper edges of the SF, but the SLC has one of the larger center views out there for a classic design.
- A difference in size with the SLC seeming nice and compact for a 42mm, but it does not come across as light.

The SLC does seem to have very easy eye placement (no glasses) that makes for quick and comfortable viewing. I also really like the way Swaro does the diopter adjustment is the small incremental clicks which makes it very easy to lock in on a sharp focus.

One big difference between the two is the SF went with a lens flattener design. The SF does have a potential issue of rolling ball for some individuals. I personally like the flat field view but there are some members who would not take one for free and would grab the SLC in a heartbeat. Both work for me.

Please let us know what you ultimately decide and how it works out.

Last edited:
Truly appreciate all that BruceH! And from everyone. I thought the slc hd was the new one. I am gonna have to jump on one in a hurry. Any idea what would be a reasonable price to sell my Conquest hd 10x42? They are in excellent condition. I would like to sell these before getting new ones if possible. thanks again

How are the swarovski el 8.5x42? .......

It depends on which generation you are interest in.

There are three generations of the EL model. The first was a classic design and did not have lens flatteners and did not have ED glass.

The second generation came out in about 2010 (I think) and it introduced Swarovision which is Swaro's marketing name for lens flatteners. It also added ED glass. The name includes SV for Swarovision EX.8.5X42 EL SV. They also made changes to the armor and frame structure so it is not to hard to tell it from the 1st generation.

The third generation came out during the fall of 2015 and is called the FieldPro. It is optically the same as the second generation. The major change was eliminating the traditional strap lug on the body and going to a proprietary system. The armoring was changed and a small change was made to the diopter adjustment. It also has a smaller case.

The price you quoted indicates a first generation. Be aware there were ongoing changes made within that generation. The focus speed was increased and the coatings were improved. The price reflects a model toward the end of production.

The 1st gen is still a very nice binocular but in my opinion, the SLC prior version is the better choice. It is a newer model and it has ED glass. I would easily spend the extra $94 for the SLC being offered from the Canada seller.

As far as the value of your Conquest HD 10X42, I saw a demo on sale (which means new model registration and all accessories and box) at Red Hawk Rifle for $800.

Here is one with all the works that recently sold on eBay as an auction for $730 plus shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zeiss-Conqu...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Here is another on with everything that looks like a Buy it Now that went for $750 including shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2016-Ze...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Keep in mind that eBay gets about 10% of the selling price.

Also keep in mind if yours has any marks or scratches on the body or lenses or if it is missing any accessories, papers or box, it will be harder to sell and most likely bring less.

Just before Thanksgiving it was possible to get one brand new for $670. Lucky for you those promotions are over. The best new price I know of off hand is $900.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back