• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular help needed (1 Viewer)

jsthntn247

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum. I've read allot of reviews on here over the years and decided to join. My LGS has allot of binoculars with 2" of dust setting on the boxes because if its not Leupold, Swarovski, or*Nikon, it doesn't sale around here.* He's willing to make a deal on some that he's had in inventory for* a while so I picked a few out and he gave me a price on them.* Which ones would you go with?**Wanting to*stay with an 8x and will be used mainly for hunting.

Weaver Grand Slam 8.5x43 for 150$.* Looked really clear and made in Japan

Minox 8x32 Alt-Br* 250$* They had several other configurations of Minox that were covered in dust but I've seen the reviews on several places about the 8x32's.* Might could get a good deal on another pair of Minox, which would be the best to see if they have?

Brunton Epoch 8.5x43 400$

I've had four Minox binos, and all had very poor performance. I will no longer recommend them to anyone.

Brunton had some decent stuff, but that company is gone. Therefore, no warranty or repair support at all.

Weaver is still in business, so you will most likely have some support. I would go with the Weaver, and save the money you would have otherwise spent for a more "high-end" bino.

Hi,

First of all, welcome to BF!

I've never owned Minox bins but got to look through quite a lot of examples of fellow birders as Minox is kinda common over here in germany. The APO HG and HG lines have so far been quite good, the BLs were ok. Any of those at 250 is a good deal, a screaming one if it's HG. Below that it gets nasty. Haven't really found the model mentioned.

Don't know the others...

As for what to do in that store... get a Swaro in the size you want plus a lot of the 2 inch of dust pairs in the same size and try to find the one which looks most like the Swaro - when looking through it, not at it - to cite a certain Mr. Fraunhofer ;-)

Joachim

Thanks for the reply's. I know allot about scopes and know that the same manufacturers can have several manufacturers make products in different countries. I will count the Bruntons out since they are defunct.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back