• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great doubts among: 8x25 and 8x30 (1 Viewer)

wachipilotes

Hello ,
I am currently in the process of choosing a small binocular with good optical and mechanical quality, durable ..
I used larger ones with 10x binoculars and I think the picture shakes too if use without tripod., Or if I have support
For this I think it can be better 8x, at least for me.
I'm still not very clear is whether to choose one 8x20 or 8x25 pocket of good quality (Leica, Swarovski, Zeiss ..) because I want it very very manageable and comfortable, but also bright and contrasted, or ... ..... one 8x30./ 8x32
There is not much difference in brightness and image quality? And comfort?
Usually, I leave birding during the day, not at sunset and days with enough sunshine, bright ..
I was looking for specific advice between 8x20 / 8x25 or 8x30/ 8x32
I thought roof prism binocular, but there is some good quality Porro prism, waterproff (sometimes I'll dusty and humid environments) that could contemplate?
Very friendly in advance
regards
wachi

because I want it very very manageable and comfortable, but also bright and contrasted, or ...

Based on the above, you can throw out the 8x20. And unless you can get the Swarovski 8x25, throw out the 8x25 too. The CL-P however does fairly well, and might make you happy. But in the end I think that based on your specific and stated needs, you should stick with a good 30/32mm bino. And too, a smaller 30/32mm bino such as the Nikon M7 is not greatly larger than a CL-P (12 ounces vs. 15.5oz).

Last edited:
I tend to think that when you get to 30mm you're talking about 'proper' binoculars. I have a 25mm reverse porro Nikon Travellite, but it's nowhere near the 8x30 M7, which i still think is one of the best buys for the price.

Hello ,
I am currently in the process of choosing a small binocular with good optical and mechanical quality, durable ..
I used larger ones with 10x binoculars and I think the picture shakes too if use without tripod., Or if I have support
For this I think it can be better 8x, at least for me.
I'm still not very clear is whether to choose one 8x20 or 8x25 pocket of good quality (Leica, Swarovski, Zeiss ..) because I want it very very manageable and comfortable, but also bright and contrasted, or ... ..... one 8x30./ 8x32
There is not much difference in brightness and image quality? And comfort?
Usually, I leave birding during the day, not at sunset and days with enough sunshine, bright ..
I was looking for specific advice between 8x20 / 8x25 or 8x30/ 8x32
I thought roof prism binocular, but there is some good quality Porro prism, waterproff (sometimes I'll dusty and humid environments) that could contemplate?
Very friendly in advance
regards
wachi
Get a good quality 8x32. You will be happier because an 8x32 is just easier to use than an 8x30 Nikon M7 or smaller. Something like a Zeiss Conquest 8x32 HD, Zeiss 8x32 FL or older Leica Trinovid 8x32 BA or BN.

Last edited:
Hi,

any proper 8x30 is going to run circles around an 8x25. It gets 50% more light and the field of view will be a lot larger.

A good 8x30 will easily serve as your only pair of bins, an 8x25 is ok to carry all the time, but I wouldn't consider taking it for a birding excursion.

Joachim

Exactly! If you're not restricted by budget, or could find a second hand pair on ebay etc., the Zeiss FL8x32 may be the only bins you ever need!
The Monarch 7 8x30 would be great if budget-restricted though, particularly if you're usually in that great Spanish light!

Hi,

when it comes to specific models recommended, I agree with an 8x32FL, if you can snag up a good used pair.
Not so sure about the Monarch 7 - I'd rather spend that money on an E2, if a non-waterproof porro is an option - it's quite a bit nicer than the Monarch 7 - even wider field and less stray light problems.
Or have a look at the cheap and cheerful Sightron Blue Sky S2 everybody is raving about...

Joachim

Thanks, I think that a waterproff is ideal for me, open field but with much dust, humidity, the Nikon 8x30 EII is not waterproff..
The Zeiss 8x32 FL , I think that is a good binoculars but toooo muchhh priced for my pocket!!
The Monarch 7 8x30 maybe a good candidate.o second hand Leica Trinovid 8x32 ??
And the pocket Swarovski CL- 8x25 ?? too much differences with the 8x30 models??

A 8x32 feels like a 'real' binocular, while the 8x25 is more like a large compact.

I once compared the Kite/Monarch 8x30 to the Zeiss Conquest 8x32 HD and the Zeiss was clearly easier to use because of its slightly bigger exit pupil and dimensions and more forgiving eyepiece design. For me the difference was obvious.

What is your budget? On the German fleabay you can find a new Zeiss Conquest 8x32 HD for 650 euro shipped and Clifton Cameras has the Kowa 8x33 for 498 pounds. On the UK fleabay there is an auction going for a used Conquest 8x32 HD.

Good luck!

George

If you're not restricted by budget, or could find a second hand pair on ebay etc., the Zeiss FL8x32 may be the only bins you ever need!
For what it's worth (and it might not be much, as my priorities might differ from yours) that's the path I chose - the Zeiss 8x32 FLs, which are wonderful binoculars. I went with those over other perfectly nice bins because of their small (hence easily packed) size and, of course, the excellent view they give. They were a bit more expensive than I'd have preferred but I figured they'd be my most-used binoculars and so worth spending a bit more on - and that's exactly how they've worked out for me. I have other bins but the little FLs would easily get 80%+ of my use.

...Mike

I would agree about a decent 8x30-32 being much more comfortable (generally better eye relief, wider field of view and easier eye placement) than a comparatively priced 8x20-8x25.

I like the Monarch 7 8x30 suggestion and would also mention the Maven B 3 8x30.

If size/weight are primary concerns in an 8x30-32 then I feel the need to also mention both the Opticron Traveler and Discovery 8x32 models. Both weigh under 14 ounces. The Discovery in particular, is contoured in such a way that it almost the exact same footprint as many 8x20-25 models but with a larger field of view and easier eye placement. The pricing on both models is also very affordable for most folks.

Hi,

well, waterproofing certainly is nice but I use my Nikon porros as primary birding bins and a bit of rain is no problem. If it should start pouring, they go in a plastic bag into the bagpack. If your location was in tropical rainforest climate - well maybe not a porro then...

Later Trinovids have a good (but not very good) view and very nice ergonomics and build quality. But they have been around for quite a while and you should make sure that you get a phase coated example... The Trinovid BA/BN versions should be safe bets and are recommended.

Regarding the CL 8x25 - it's not as extremely limited as the 8x20 pocket bins but doesn't fit a shirt pocket. The true field of view of 6.8 deg is a degree less than even a moderately wide 8x32 like the trinis, two less than a real wide example like the E2. And 7mm more aperture might not sound much but equals to >50% more light...

Joachim

Well, your opinion are very important for me....
I have a Olympus 7x35 porrro prism with more of 9º wide field but is more big that a "horse"..not too much bad image quality.
Wachi

However, there must be much difference between a binocular 200 Euro (Monarch 8x30 7) and one of 650 Euro (Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32) and one of 900 Euro (Zeiss 8x32 FL USED) ..... !!

I have WANTED to like the 8x20s and 8x25s but just can't, but I put more emphasis on large exit pupils and viewing comfort than some. Kite 8x Lynx looks like a good choice (no 1st hand experience though) but I do have a 6x32 Vortex Viper which is really nice. I imagine the 8x32 would also be good.

Hi,

too bad, the Olympus 7x35 looks nice from the field of view 9 deg true and 65 deg afov - unfortunately they thought that they can only sell a porro in the ultra budget class for 50€ or so and made a single coated glass in the 21st century - ouch... If this was fully multicoated, had no other apparent flaws and cost like 200 or 300€ it would be interesting.

Regarding the M7 - I have to say that for 200€ this has to be re-evaluated a bit - last time I checked this was 400€ or so. In that price range it's probably an ok deal.
Still the difference to a Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 or a Kowa Genesis XD 8x32 will be quite large. Both of those were aimed at the 1000€ price point and were very good performers there.
The FL is an alpha (recently discontinued) and will beat the two upper middle class examples mentioned above but the law of diminishing returns definitely starts to apply. Also it is a very light and compact package for an 8x32.

Joachim

I'm not sure the FL 8x32 has been discontinued - i think it's the last of the line to still be available new, and there was certainly a pair at this year's BirdFair on the Zeiss stand.
However, it is still expensive, and rarely second hand below £800 or so (which very soon might be 800 Euros too, judging by the exchange rate!)
Where i think the M7 scores is in size, weight, FoV and brightness. The eye position requires getting used to, but if i was stuck with just the Nikon for a year, i would be ok....I'd miss the FL though!

Hi,

you are right... I had read sth about it being missing from the Zeiss web pages plus all the speculation of an 8x32 SF and looked myself some time ago and couldn't find it either... but right now, it seems to be back, which is nice to see - as otherwise they would have no alpha option in 8x30...

So forget about the discontinued part... and don't hold your breath for the SF 8x32 ;-)

Joachim

Zeiss Terra 8x25 vs Monarch 7 8x30

Hello,
Two options economical for me: this two binoculars, there is too much differences in size and weight between they ? and optical quality ?
And in your opinion and experience , for all round bino ? which is your preference ?
Im my country the Terra 8x25 , 275 Euro/ Monarch 7 8x30, 300 Euro and Kite Lynx 8x30, 460 Euro..
Thanks again for your advise. .
Regards,
Wachi

Last edited:
Hi,

the Monarch 7 and Kite Lynx are quite similar - for sure built by the same comapany (Kamakura Koki) although maybe not in the same factory - the Nikon is made in china for sure, not sure about the Kite. The pocket Terras are made in Japan too (and probably also by Kamakura) but they are just pocket bins.

Both 8x30 have a much wider field of view than the 8x25 pair which also has a smaller exit pupil which makes it darker in less than ideal light and eye placement more difficult.
These two 8x30 models have problems with glare and both are very small and light for 8x30 models. Otherwise the optics is quite good. Eye relief is so-so with 15mm - if you don't wear glasses while using bins, no problem. If you are, you'll have to try if it works with your glasses. The Kite is a bit nicer - metal body vs. plastic and a bit more field - you have to decide if that's worth 150€ extra to you.

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back